View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New Botlink features - v3.35 
Site Admin

Unread post New Botlink features - v3.35
I don't want to get into too much detail because I'll be covering it on the blog, but the latest version of Botlink is up on twgs.classictw.com.

The main new feature I've added is a function to add custom commands to menus. Botlink has a new IO object that provides the functions for interacting with players. At this point, you can add a command to any of the main command menus (startup, main, computer, planet, corp, etc, 16 total menus). If a Botlink controller creates a custom command, then when a player displays the menu, it will be followed by a "Press <+> for more commands..." line. If the player presses +, a menu of all available Botlink-backed commands will be shown. If the player presses the key for one of these commands, an event is generated on Botlink and the player is placed into a holding state. Botlink will then do whatever processing is necessary for the command, then release the player back to the command prompt.

Vid Kid is working on a simple script to demonstrate how this will work.

This is just a starting point for the interactive features that Botlink will support, but it demonstrates the general idea.

I've also added a set of COUNT functions to go along with the FIND search functions. If you replace FIND with COUNT in any of those functions, you'll receive a count of assets rather than a list. Now, for example, you'll be able to count the number of defensive figs in a 30K map in a few milliseconds and very little CPU overhead or network transmission. This will go a long way toward enabling us to create custom game rankings, and other add-ons that depend on game stats.

A few other bugs have been addressed as well. It should be impossible to crash Botlink by entering an invalid command. If you manage to do it, let me know.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: New Botlink features - v3.35
John Pritchett wrote:
Now, for example, you'll be able to count the number of defensive figs in a 30K map in a few milliseconds and very little CPU overhead or network transmission.

If this is true... can the V-screen be real time again?

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant Major

The link is broken. I would like to download this and do some experimenting, is there another place I can get it?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:21 am
Gameop

Thorindude wrote:
The link is broken. I would like to download this and do some experimenting, is there another place I can get it?

It's not downloadable. It's only available on the public beta server.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 am
Profile ICQ
Sergeant Major

Ah, thanks for the info.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:46 am
Sergeant Major

Re: Botlink

just been playing around with this a bit...I would like to make a suggestion...

instead of dealing only with aliases, it would be more user friendly if you allowed the object.id format too..

e.g.
this
VIEW sector.1

instead of / in addition to
USE sector 1 AS mysector
VIEW mysector

Also, a bug...
SHOW FIELDS GAME

then
SHOW FIELDS anything else...shows same fields as GAME....

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:03 am
Site Admin

Sounds good on providing record ID aliases. I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]