View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 View Game Settings 
Ambassador

Unread post View Game Settings
When a game is closed and the player gets the xx time to start message, it would be helpful to continue to be able to see the game settings to help determine if you wish to play the game. As it appears the player has to return after xx time to view the settings of a game that they may have bypassed to play another.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:12 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post Re: View Game Settings
Promethius wrote:
When a game is closed and the player gets the xx time to start message, it would be helpful to continue to be able to see the game settings to help determine if you wish to play the game. As it appears the player has to return after xx time to view the settings of a game that they may have bypassed to play another.

Not even sure it shows the scheduled start time,.. I've never looked from the player side of things. But yes it would be nice to be able to see the game stats of the "coming soon" games.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

I run Archies Describe cmd , it makes a copy of the Tmenu * screen with a few missing parts , but most of the info can be found from the main menu with the '!' key and game letter.

Attachment:
File comment: Edit the path so the cmd works on your system , then put it into EIS/TWGS directory and make a shortcut on your desktop.
DescribeTW.zip [2.02 KiB]
Downloaded 677 times

Edit the path so the cmd works on your system , then put it into EIS/TWGS directory and make a shortcut on your desktop.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

I agree Prom, it is nice that there is a script that can do this but since "*" is already there allowing access to that info prior to starting seems a better option than forcing Sysop's to run yet another script.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:27 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I'll consider this. You can get info about the game from the main menu using the $ command as well, in xml format. And a gameop could provide that info if they want to go to the trouble. But it would be easiest for TWGS to handle this.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

I was thinking of a pause with a space to clear the "will start in xx time" and continue as normal on viewing the settings as if the game was open.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
I'll consider this. You can get info about the game from the main menu using the $ command as well, in xml format. And a gameop could provide that info if they want to go to the trouble. But it would be easiest for TWGS to handle this.

Actually we were talking the other night, what we need is a way to get ship info, planet info and info on the aliens in XML format so we could post somewhere on our sites.

Look at this example. Xenop... (I dont remember the name) created a tool to pull that info out of the data files, and that is how I pulled settings, planet info, ship info and alien info for each TWA in the twa db project. http://helixtw.podzone.org/twa_db/twa_db_project.html

I will PM you the tools john so you can see them, (The man asked me not to post them publically)

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

As I discussed in PM, that stuff is coming, because I need it for my own work on integrating TWGS with the TW museum and Jumpgate. At some point, all of this will be generated for you automatically as part of Jumpgate. That's the plan, and all of the details on how to do it have been worked out now, it's just a matter of getting it done.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

T0yman wrote:
I agree Prom, it is nice that there is a script that can do this but since "*" is already there allowing access to that info prior to starting seems a better option than forcing Sysop's to run yet another script.

I couldn't get to the "*" command or the "S" to "View Game Settings" when the game was closed - just the message on when it would start. I could only go back to the game selection menu.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Promethius wrote:
T0yman wrote:

I couldn't get to the "*" command or the "S" to "View Game Settings" when the game was closed - just the message on when it would start. I could only go back to the game selection menu.

Yea, I think I might not have been clear... was just saying since it is there why should we create something new. Just move where the message when the game is closed so that screen is available.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Promethius wrote:
T0yman wrote:

That is exactly why I suggested the Discribe.cmd it writes it to an area that can be viewed while the game was closed.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Would exporting settings to the game description fit the bill?

H

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

This is what I will be using to post Game Settings (Ship settings, planet settings and alien settings when john gets those going) its simple, fairly easy to set up and manage. It would require one css file for each type of game info (settings, aliens, planets and ships) the formatting is completely up to you.

Here is the link to the www docs http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_display.asp

H

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]