View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bypass game selection menu, if only one game available 
Gameop

Unread post Bypass game selection menu, if only one game available
Wondering if its possible to bypass the game selection menu if a server only has one game available to be played? I was thumbing around looking for some sort of settings, but can't seem to find anything...

I am able to have multiple games, but kinda like the idea of just running one game and having it automatically load the second a connection is made? Rather then have someone go to a menu and hit "a" to enter it. Any help?

-Matthew

(I guess this would require an auto-logoff as well once they exit the game?)

ODS BBS has shutdown after 25 years... thank you and goodbye.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:32 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Bypass game selection menu, if only one game available
Seems like a decent option. I'll make a note.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

What if someone wanted to look at the game info or who is online?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

That's all available inside the game. Obviously a gameop would want players to only have access to in-game displays if they chose to use this option.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

So checking who is in game/on server is out .. as well as checking game
settings before joining and cby'ing.
Plus the fact that you will not be able to know the game rob/steal factor or planet trade values ?

Talk about a handycap game.
You can expect to play a game without knowing some of the settings.

BTW , has anyone else been to this BBS to see it has 60 plus MUDD players and only 1 to 3 twars players ?

Is this really a function of twgs that is really needed or has been requested by more then 1 person ?

Since this is not the feature request , I think I'm open to a debate on this topic.

The menu is just something we all have to deal with , as well as his players
who also have to log through the BBS frontend.

They may be in need of a BBS login script so they can play , and then that sysop could run more then just the one game.

I sure wish MS would take the time to tailor their product to my needs .. but we know that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Lets get this version of TWGS done , so you (John) can make a more tailored version in the next server you design.

As is , if you take the main menu out , so the player does not have to type A to get in the only game the server has .. I know the sysop will complain but it will still have to have a Tmenu option ..
Just for high scores or game setting.

I for one think if players come into a game and cby , it gives an unfair advantage to others to post on for a commish .. are we going to eliminate the cby to -10 alingment ?

Fix one thing and have to make 5 other changes .. I don't know about you but isn't that just making more work ?

Just my 2¢
Comments welcome , I have a little time to follow this ...
No flaming though ...

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Vid Kid wrote:
Plus the fact that you will not be able to know the game rob/steal factor or planet trade values ?

I think he's talking about skipping the TWGS menu and going straight to the game menu. So you could still get the rob/steal factors.

But the thing is, who's online displays differently in game and out of game. In game you see game names; out of game you see BBS names. At the game menu, you get neither.

This is what I mean by the game menu:

Code:
   ==-- Trade Wars 2002 --==

T - Play Trade Wars 2002
   I - Introduction & Help
   S - View Game Settings
   H - High scores
   M - View Access Modes
   X - Exit

Enter your choice:

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

I've been to that server , all you get at main menu is the list of games (with default ansi screen)
and when you type # , you see how many nodes in use .. no names.
he has chosen to use the "Hide details on # list"

And of course I would bet he will want to avoid the tmenu as well .. that is why I mentioned the settings that would be missed as well.

My vote .. if there were one .. leave it alone and continue the bug repairs and get this out and done.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Well currently we have 100 users online... yes playing mostly MajorMUD... my reason for the request... if I only want to host a single TW2002 game, why bother going to a menu system, just to select "game a" and then enter the game... why not just go directly into the game and skip the extra step?

My users all login through a front-end bbs... to play majormud, legend of the reg dragon, farwest trivia, go into chat rooms, use email, etc etc etc... its a normal BBS and if people want they can hit "#" and it will show everyone who is online, where they are, how long they've been on, and other assorted info...

not trying to ruffle feathers with a suggestion, or to I guess have you think I'll just complain about other things... I just thought it was a simple suggestion for people who would only run one game, to just get into the game and get running, selection "game a" seemed silly if there was only one option, ya know?

not everyone needs to see every detail of a game or every player who's online in order to just enjoy a classic game. :) They just wanna play some TW2002... I know most people are used to knowing every detail, and having dozens of game with many options... was just throwing an idea out.

(example, if you have a games menu on your BBS, and users select it, and the only option is TW2002, why not just remove the games menu and list TW2002 on the main menu so people can go to it right away?)

P.S. Come play some MajorMUD, or Farwest Trivia on the bbs! I love me some trivia.

P.S.S. Oh and the example Mongoose used for the game menu, is was I was refering to, I'd like players to skip the TWGS menu, and go right to the menu Mongoose pointed out... the game.

ODS BBS has shutdown after 25 years... thank you and goodbye.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 pm
Site Admin

I think this is a good idea. I just haven't implemented it yet.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant Major

+1

Reason: If you don't like it as a SysOp, don't use the option. If you don't like it as a player, don't play on that server. It seems a simple enough option to program (as a developer myself).

This has the bonus of good relationship management for Tradewars...and in the end, that is a good thing, as the more SysOps that install and purchase the registration, the more it can and will be supported so that it doesn't remain a niche game.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:48 pm
Commander

I've been thinking this out a bit .. sounds like a great idea .. if J.P. is looking to do a big change to the TWGS front end .. because firstly , when you get kicked from game you go (invisibly) to the Top menu and back to the Tmenu.

Secondly , if a game is set to open in XX hours , and you by pass the main menu , you still do not go to the Tmenu , and the option in the main menu '!' is not available to see the settings (If Archies Discribe.cmd was used for that purpose).

I'm not entirely objecting to this , I would just like to point out how much more fun it would be for John to Add this (add sarcastic tag here) valuable
feature to be used by so few.

If I'm to understand its because the BBS users have so many keystokes already to do to get to the games menu that this one fix is to save them just one more ... may I suggest a telnet direct to the server verse the BBS front end ? and therefore you could host more then one game ?

Or just a suggestion , have someone develope a login script for you BBS to get into tradewars and enter the game A for them so it jumps right past the menu into that one game ?
When I played through a BBS , that is what I did.

I'm sorry if this post offends , I would like TWars bugs & bot link to be finished in lue of less important things like a saving of a keystroke.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've never looked at the number of people requesting a feature. If it's a feature I think will add to the server, I'll do it. And if it's a gameop who registered the software, then I'll consider it even if only that one person will use it. Those who bother to register the software deserve my attention to their requests.

I haven't looked enough at the requested feature to say how difficult it would be. Obviously that'll be a factor in whether or not it gets done. My gut instinct is it wouldn't be too difficult. I definitely won't rework a ton of login code to make this work. But if it's a simple option to implement, I'll throw it in when I have some time.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

I'm with Vid on this. Not only would bypassing the TWGS menu eliminate the feature of viewing who is online from that menu, as well as the game info screens, it would probably break a lot of login scripts. Every major helper requires a game letter in its game settings, whether it does anything with it or not. My own helper depends on the game letter to uniquely identify the game, since the GUID is not visible anywhere.

It seems ridiculous to break so many things just to save people one single keystroke in a very unusual situation.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

On the other hand, deer_buster also makes a good point:

deer_buster wrote:
If you don't like it as a player, don't play on that server.

If it does break things, some players just won't play there. Other servers won't be affected.

And anyway... I've investigated supporting MBBS and TWGS with the same helper, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible. So eventually I'll have to handle a "no game letter" situation anyway.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I wouldn't expect it to be widely used. This seems more like a customization for a particular gameop. I do that from time to time.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next