View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Exit Enter times 
Veteran Op

Unread post Exit Enter times
Im sure this has been asked before..

but it seems that the delay for exit/enter with ver. 2 is lightyears past what I was used to.

It could be just me... but it seems I could exit/enter about 5 times before in the same amount of time that it now takes 1 exit enter.

Is is just me?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Exit Enter times
Nope, in version 2 it completely closes the game before relogging back in which takes much longer. From what I can tell thats just the way it is gonna be ... so becareful using exit/enter to clear mines :)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I asked before what "a long time" is in this case, and I guess the answer is a half a second, which is about how long it should take to close the game and restart it. But compared to the almost instantaneous restart time that was allowed before, a half a second is probably hundreds of times slower.

My goal in making this change was to guarantee that all global variables are consistently initialized when you hit the startup menu, whether you start from scratch or drop from the game. A program reset is the easiest and most sure way to accomplish that goal. I haven't come up with any other reasonable alternative yet, but I'll continue to look.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

It works, but it is a shock the first time you try clearing limpets and realize your a sitting target for a second or so :)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]