View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sorry for being gone for so long... 
Gameop

Unread post Sorry for being gone for so long...
Sorry for being gone for so long, and soon as I get things setup again, I wil restart my TWGS game servers again. Has JP found a way to host multiple servers on a single computer yet?

As soon as I can afford to pay for hosting I will put up my website again as well. Anyway glad to be back and hope to have the server or servers up and running soon.

Vulcan

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Sorry for being gone for so long...
Welcome back :) Looks like we decided to come back at the same time.

I've looked at allowing more than one server to run on the same machine, and it's just a messy deal. Maybe I can add some features to allow a single server to behave like more than one server, maybe by allowing more than one connection port, associating games with a particular port. So you could have a hidden dev port, or maybe have a private area for only some of your players.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Welcome back :) Looks like we decided to come back at the same time.

I've looked at allowing more than one server to run on the same machine, and it's just a messy deal. Maybe I can add some features to allow a single server to behave like more than one server, maybe by allowing more than one connection port, associating games with a particular port. So you could have a hidden dev port, or maybe have a private area for only some of your players.

Yeah that is kinda what I was thinking of, I think if you can set the .exe file to allow more than one instance of the TWGS that may work, I know it should be able to work, cause from my help on the VLC Media player we can set it to allow more than one instance to play at the same time and view a whole different set of videos on the different instances. So if we can set the TWGS to run more than one instance, then we can run it with more than one input port to the game so the different instances will have a whole set of rules, but there may be a problem, unless we can have each instance to be self contained to have the games on each instance seperate, Say if we open the game to allow another instance the game has a seperate file set for each instance, when opened. Basically let it have the master file set for the game itself and make a seperate set of game files for each instance, to keep each instance seperate. It is a thought, and what we are doing on a game I am developing with some other guys, we are using the Unity game engine on that game for now.

Vulcan

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:58 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

If you need to run multiple servers... have you considered running virtual machines using any of the various VM softwares? You can assign an IP address to each one...

Now let's say you just have a single dynamic IP from your provider, or I guess static also would work...

Assuming you have a router, that has port forwarding, you could assign certain ports to go to certain VM's running each server...

incoming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:100 goes to 192.168.1.100
incoming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:101 goes to 192.168.1.101
incoming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:102 goes to 192.168.1.102

Just have the port they come in on redirect to the IP of the virtual server?

ODS BBS has shutdown after 25 years... thank you and goodbye.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:16 pm
Gameop

ODS BBS wrote:
If you need to run multiple servers... have you considered running virtual machines using any of the various VM softwares? You can assign an IP address to each one...

Now let's say you just have a single dynamic IP from your provider, or I guess static also would work...

Assuming you have a router, that has port forwarding, you could assign certain ports to go to certain VM's running each server...

incoming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:100 goes to 192.168.1.100
incoming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:101 goes to 192.168.1.101
incoming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:102 goes to 192.168.1.102

Just have the port they come in on redirect to the IP of the virtual server?

I have used virtual servers to host more than one TWGS, I was hoping that JP figured out a way to let TWGS run multiple instances of itself without having to go through the issues of making multiple virtual machines.

It isn't an issue at the moment, but soon as he has the TWGS where it would be able to run multiple instances of itself with completely different game setups for each instance, that would be great.

Vulcan

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Forgive me if I repeat things you've probably already tried heh...

Is the problem you can't install TWGS into multiple directories and have it look at each separate install directory for game data?

Is the problem you need multiple IP addresses for the network card?

Is the problem when two are loaded they write to each others data even if installed in different directories?

Whats the hangup, maybe we can find another work around instead of VM's.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 am
Site Admin

I don't foresee this being a change in TWGS. As I said, it's just too messy given the current design.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Its okay JP I was just answering his statement on why I asked the question, on the subject, and to let him know that I already use virtual machine for making it possible to use the TWGS in mutliple that way.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

any idea where the conflict occurs, maybe we could brainstorm a way around it... I've had to deal with that for the last 12 years with my bbs software, starting to get pretty good when modern doesn't mix with nostalgia heh...

Heck I don't even run my bbs on hard drives anymore I've gotten around so many things heh.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:03 pm
Gameop

I got to thinking about this last night... I guess what is the purpose for wanting to run a second copy of TWGS? I was trying to think of why that would be a benefit... all I could come up with was for testing edits and other various things that might need some bugs worked out, or getting around licensing?

VM's would really be the ideal way to test edits and make sure things are working since you can change the OS and installed things, keep tweaking settings without harming any other games running until they are hammered out. Would give you the chance to push it to extremes.

Otherwise you're just adding a lot of extra overhead to your system so maybe I'm just missing some side benefit cause I use it a different way than you've found a need for... more programs are more chances to have problems heh. Are there different ways people are heavily editing the game aside from the basic editors and scripts that might affect all of them? (so I know before I try lol)

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 am
Veteran Op

There are a couple adavantages of running 2 copies, one is to run 2 version 1.03 and 2.20b so all players can be happy (lol like that will ever happen) or for testing purposes for script writers.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:33 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

T0yman wrote:
There are a couple adavantages of running 2 copies, one is to run 2 version 1.03 and 2.20b so all players can be happy (lol like that will ever happen) or for testing purposes for script writers.

Ahhh so you can't run independant TW2002 versions inside TWGS... I never really poked to see if I could control that, just assumed I'd go with the latest to get bug fixes.

I always liked using VM's for testing things, sped things up and when my mistakes caused it to crash, the rest of the system would still be going... I think that is my favorite thing of modern day computers being powerful enough to do that... beats booting up a second machine like the old days, crashing with 100 users online gets them all angry pretty quick heh.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:39 pm
Commander

ODS BBS wrote:

I always liked using VM's for testing things, sped things up and when my mistakes caused it to crash, the rest of the system would still be going... I think that is my favorite thing of modern day computers being powerful enough to do that... beats booting up a second machine like the old days, crashing with 100 users online gets them all angry pretty quick heh.

Agreed. We have used VMWare for years and have multiple VM's created on our network (Win XP, Win 2K Pro, Win 98, DOS, Linux, Netware, Ubuntu, etc). Two XP VM's run TradeWars- v1.03 and one with v2.20. BBS software also runs on our VM. We like how quick the VM's start up compared to a regular system boot. The additional bonus is we can move the VM to another system or load the VM from any system that houses VMWare on the network. If the host system has issues, we can use another host and keep the VM's running while repairing the original.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 pm
Gameop

Thrawn wrote:
ODS BBS wrote:

Agreed. We have used VMWare for years and have multiple VM's created on our network (Win XP, Win 2K Pro, Win 98, DOS, Linux, Netware, Ubuntu, etc). Two XP VM's run TradeWars- v1.03 and one with v2.20. BBS software also runs on our VM. We like how quick the VM's start up compared to a regular system boot. The additional bonus is we can move the VM to another system or load the VM from any system that houses VMWare on the network. If the host system has issues, we can use another host and keep the VM's running while repairing the original.

I agree here as well and with T0yman on his too. I want to keep running both the older version and the newer one, and so far the only way is the use of VM ware, which I use anyway, and I am in the middle of setting up another computer for running just that and the TWGS on two instances of the VM ware on it for the purpose of keeping the two TWGS seperate for running the two versions seperately, so as to hopefully please the players that like which ever version they play on, I am setting up the new computer to relieve some cpu on my personal machine being I am working on an online MMORPG with it and need all the cpu and ram it has for the game engine to run and test the game on each stage of development. I am working with some very intensive game engines, intended for super high graphics.

Also Thrawn glad to see you back in country again, did you get my PM to you on the offer? I am sending another just in case.

Vulcan

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

I have them both running, one each in a WinXPsp3 VM, Cernnunos License for v1.03 and Twisted License for v2.20b

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next