View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 A Discussion of Ethics and Game Play 
Commander

Unread post Re: A Discussion of Ethics and Game Play
Helix wrote:
Oso wrote:
How is discussing an unnamed Sysop's unethical use of TEDIT on their own server derailing a thread entitled, "A Discussuion of Ethics and Game Play"?

That's a good laugh!

As soon as you can post some proof, I would love to hear about it instead of all this ridiculous hearsay and innuendo.

After all its not like I got caught impersonating a reputable player. Or let some disreputable admin get away with altering user account info on a forum I was also an admin for. But you are right, how you play and who you play with definitely shows your ethical/moral outlook. Only trash plays with trash.

You really have a hard-on for D don't you?

Funny how you ask for proof, and then provide your own hearsay and innuendo. Methinks thou dost protest too much. You cannot defend yourself, so you attack others.

You would edit or delete others' posts willy nilly, censoring right and left. When a mod edits posts here with transparency and locks topics instead of deleting them, you scream censorship. Your playbook is getting pretty thin there brother, you might want to work on that.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards redemption. I hope you do find your way back towards what we call in the mainstream, "honesty".

Curing ignorance and terminal stupidity since 1999.

Questioning the intellectual abilities of three digit annual salary earners since 2015.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

T0yman wrote:
Helix wrote:
Only trash plays with trash.

I would disagree with this for short term corping.
Long term I would say it might be closer to accurate that rule breakers/unethical players tend to group together. Not sure calling them trash is appropriate.

We all had this discussion once, why not just ask the Admin or Mod to move it to the correct location..... was there something said wrong in the other?

I not a fan of seeing the same titled thread over and over.....one and done :)

I locked the thread after he started trying to troll BigD. So he posts it here instead, which is also against the rules.

To quote: "This forum is provided as a means for the TradeWars community to support new players."

Helix is just being a coward and is posting where he thinks he won't get modded so that he can continue to troll others.

Questioning the intellectual abilities of three digit annual salary earners since 2015.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

T0yman wrote:
Helix wrote:
Only trash plays with trash.

I would disagree with this for short term corping.
Long term I would say it might be closer to accurate that rule breakers/unethical players tend to group together. Not sure calling them trash is appropriate.

We all had this discussion once, why not just ask the Admin or Mod to move it to the correct location..... was there something said wrong in the other?

I not a fan of seeing the same titled thread over and over.....one and done :)

Yes you are right about the trash comment, I apologize for it. And I agree about the short term corping thing. Every one deserves a chance, especially if the rule breaking/ethical issues are ones for which I don't have first hand knowledge.

I already did the report thing. So the admin will take care of it eventually. I really didn't expect Oso to follow the thread here and so throughly derail it with personal animosity and innuendos. It would be nice if he spent some of that energy helping people.

I will say that Oso did supply some examples of the social and psychological gray areas surrounding TW play. I still say the game mechanics keep the game play ethics/morals black and white. The only gray areas that have an impact on the game are rules imposed on the game mechanics to stop a specific tactic (these rules may be broken since they are not enforced by game mechanics) and social mores. Megacorping, backstabbing, spying (inserting a player on another team for the purpose of passing info to the enemy) are all examples of those things that cannot be controlled by the game mechanics.

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Last edited by Helix on Wed May 22, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Oso wrote:

Seriously?

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Wed May 22, 2013 5:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Cruncher wrote:
Oso wrote:

Seriously?

Apparently he does!

He just wants to be able to make personal attacks on people without receiving the consequences of his poor decisions and social skills.
I just pointed out other ethical lapses made by some sysops who play on their own servers. People in glass houses and all that.

Can't stand the heat, better say out of Gordon Ramsay's way.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Oso wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
Oso wrote:

Seriously?

Apparently he does!

He just wants to be able to make personal attacks on people without receiving the consequences of his poor decisions and social skills.
I just pointed out other ethical lapses made by some sysops who play on their own servers. People in glass houses and all that.

I'm not getting in the middle of this, I'm calling YOU out for your lack of respect for the readers of this forum. This is not the Smack forum, you are an Admin here, so we must hold you to a higher standard.

We all understand the bad blood between two players, I choose to not address or fan the flames that subject. Neither should you. Address him in PM's.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Wed May 22, 2013 7:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Cruncher wrote:
Oso wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
Oso wrote:

Seriously?

Apparently he does!

I'm not getting in the middle of this, I'm calling YOU out for your lack of respect for the readers of this forum. This is not the Smack forum, you are an Admin here, so we must hold you to a higher standard.

We all understand the bad blood between two players, I choose to not address or fan the flames that subject. Neither should you. Address him in PM's.

No, I am a mod here.

I tried to keep Helix from baiting, and so he took his ball and ran to another section. The only one I lack respect for is for the one who cannot obey the forum rules. He needs to earn that respect, I will not give it freely.

Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Oso wrote:
The only one I lack respect for is for the one who cannot obey the forum rules.

Since YOU cannot obey the forum rules, how can you respect yourself? "Remove the log from thine own eye..."

Please stop derailing this thread.

Wed May 22, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Helix wrote:
Oso wrote:

Since YOU cannot obey the forum rules, how can you respect yourself? "Remove the log from thine own eye..."

Sorry, I couldn't read past your own derailing. Irony much?

Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Oso wrote:
Helix wrote:
Oso wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't read past your own derailing. Irony much?

The only irony is that you are behaving the same way as big d

Wed May 22, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Cruncher wrote:
Micro wrote:
I have a "No Bug Use" rule, but what does that really mean?

I thought shield riding was a bug, but found out later that it is set up that way by design. How is anyone supposed to know what is a bug or not?

Here's a good example. When you enter and exit a game 200 times to clear all the limpets in a sector, are you using a bug?

My rules are simple, as for bugs I state if they are unsure, ask me. That is in the announcement file in every game.

I find that my "regular" players are pointing out different things, mostly asking to check if a player is a dupe, or if I can please make the Ferrengi less mean. :) Treat your players well and they will help "police" your server. They want clean fair games, and appreciate a sysop that responds.

When I do find a dupe and delete the account, I'll update the announcement file stating that fact. I won't point fingers, but this explains why someone was in the CLV one day and gone the next.
My rules also say to ask me if you are not sure about a bug, but no-one ever has. My point is that I wouldn't know how to answer if they did. It is very unclear what a bug is, and what might be an undocumented feature.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Wed May 22, 2013 11:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Micro wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
Micro wrote:
I have a "No Bug Use" rule, but what does that really mean?

I thought shield riding was a bug, but found out later that it is set up that way by design. How is anyone supposed to know what is a bug or not?

Here's a good example. When you enter and exit a game 200 times to clear all the limpets in a sector, are you using a bug?

My rules are simple, as for bugs I state if they are unsure, ask me. That is in the announcement file in every game.

I find that my "regular" players are pointing out different things, mostly asking to check if a player is a dupe, or if I can please make the Ferrengi less mean. :) Treat your players well and they will help "police" your server. They want clean fair games, and appreciate a sysop that responds.

When I do find a dupe and delete the account, I'll update the announcement file stating that fact. I won't point fingers, but this explains why someone was in the CLV one day and gone the next.
My rules also say to ask me if you are not sure about a bug, but no-one ever has. My point is that I wouldn't know how to answer if they did. It is very unclear what a bug is, and what might be an undocumented feature.

Maybe you should remove that specific rule and let the game mechanics handle it. You are running a v2 server so the Alien Planet Farming bug is fixed (that was the most devastating on in v1)

I asked Vid what his server rules were, he said: No Duping. So its anything goes for B.O.T.E 2013 except duping.

Wed May 22, 2013 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Helix wrote:
Maybe you should remove that specific rule and let the game mechanics handle it. You are running a v2 server so the Alien Planet Farming bug is fixed (that was the most devastating on in v1)

I asked Vid what his server rules were, he said: No Duping. So its anything goes for B.O.T.E 2013 except duping.

Seriously thinking about it. The rule doesn't make any sense unless I'm going to provide a list of bugs you aren't allowed to use.

Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Micro wrote:
Helix wrote:

Seriously thinking about it. The rule doesn't make any sense unless I'm going to provide a list of bugs you aren't allowed to use.

The one advantage of keeping a "No Bug Use" rule is that v2 is so new, when a bug is found and exploited, AND when the ops find out about it, then you can drop the hammer if anyone exploits it on your server.

Wed May 22, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Helix wrote:
The one advantage of keeping a "No Bug Use" rule is that v2 is so new, when a bug is found and exploited, AND when the ops find out about it, then you can drop the hammer if anyone exploits it on your server.

The problem is that the players who have discovered these bugs aren't disclosing them.

Wed May 22, 2013 11:54 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next