View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Big bang settings 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Big bang settings
Cruncher wrote:
Do you want "traffic" or do you want to offer a "unique" gaming experience. You can have both, but it takes time to find the players willing to play or "eager" to play a nobot rule game. You won't find them here, that's what we keep telling you. If you want nobot players, promote your server on Facebook. The TW page on FB has over 1300 likes, a much wider audience who may enjoy a nobot game.

^^^ Like ^^^

In any case, it will take time to build a player base, so don't give up. Players like fresh games, so rebang regularly and post your rebangs here and on FB.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:53 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

I guess i don't want traffic. since that traffic does not stay to play. but i have had the most traffic to my blog, that i have setup for my server, then i do people who want to play on my server. because of a post that Big D started on another forum.

i get plenty of traffic.

what i wanted was "players"

but i nolonger care if i get either.
[edit]
{snip}

"it only takes one to ruin it for all"
"The promises of our youth will always haunt us in the wisdom of our old age"

Last edited by slother3x on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:30 pm
Profile YIM
Gameop

Big D still did not answer my question about him.

but since he can smell an insult a mile away i assume he is still in grade school. where people pass insults back and forth with out thoughts that others might get hurt in the process.

that is the reason Bullying laws are being put in place.

have you ever had to use a wheelchair Big D?

i have.

so the only person i was trying to insult was my self if it was an insult.

and yes i did have to re-learn how to walk.

but i can walk now.

no thanks to your encouragement about it being an insult to be in a wheelchair.

maybe you should think twice before you sound off.

and leave the people who love to play to play and for those who smack talk about you in the smack talk forum that i just learned about because it linked to my blog.

and to stay on topic i will be banging some new games. but are only going to be for white listed people only. script or not.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:33 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran Op

I don't believe this is the appropriate forum to answer any of your questions or even respond to your post so I won't. This forum definitely isn't the appropriate place to vent or pass out insults. I see you are member of the Hyperspace forum now and there is a smack talk forum there. Feel free to voice your opinion there and see where it gets you.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:29 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

slother3x wrote:
have you ever had to use a wheelchair Big D?

i have.

so the only person i was trying to insult was my self if it was an insult.

and yes i did have to re-learn how to walk.

but i can walk now.

no thanks to your encouragement about it being an insult to be in a wheelchair.

The insult you made had nothing to do with being handicapped. Your suggestion was that:

Quote:
people of this forum play with their "wheel chairs" because they forgot how to walk.

You were suggesting that players who use scripts are inferior players because they've become reliant on them. The more common expression would be "leaning heavily on your crutch."

I'll grant you that - we rely on scripts to enjoy the game.

But the problem here is your laboring under a completely mistaken impression that people who use scripts and bots *play less* than people who don't. This to me tells me that you haven't tried it - or if you have, you didn't give it a chance.

It is entirely possible (and fun!) to spend a whole day doing nothing but playing the game, and using scripts to *enhance* your gameplay working against, and with, other players. They add hundreds of other options that simply DON'T EXIST in the game as it is playing it by hand.

Have you ever watched your fighters being killed, then plocked a sector because you noticed a pattern and you figured out where they were going to hit next?

Have you ever fought a colonizing war in a game that started with 10 million colonists, and you and your corpies needed to get on when they were dropped on Terra and outmaneuver the other team using better tactics to draw them off?

Ever played a turn game where you were tasked with gathering the colonists as they regenerate, to give your team a leg up against the other team?

Have you ever used a planet to cautiously grid one sector at a time with someone else running a saveme script, because someone on the other corp will usually be running a pdrop?

I could go on and on. All of these things, and dozens and dozens of finer points of strategy, simply DO NOT EXIST in the game played by hand. It's port, trade, sell, colonize, upgrade, port some more, repeat, repeat. Scripts *encourage* people to be at the keys and playing, they don't discourage them as you seem to think.

Your "AFK bots" hatred is really just hating the people who are most likely to lose against anyone else who actually knows what they are doing, and spends even a little time at the keys. No one wins games by being AFK.

To be honest, I think the conflict you've had with everyone here stems from the fact that we're all talking about two different games. There's the ultra-low turn, log-in and play your turns, log out and hope for the best game that you're used to. And then there's the game that TW evolved into over the 20 years since.

If you really want to replicate that experience of 30-60 mins a day of gameplay, log in, log out TW, I'd suggest doing as others recommend and advertising a game on Facebook, I'm sure there are others out there who remember that game and might like the nostalgia.

To save money (and make it nearly impossible for people to use scripts) you could make the only link into your server a Java Telnet link with the telnet address hidden in the code, so the only way a player could go into your game would be to click the Connect Now button on your website and play by typing into your Java window.

-Val

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 am
Gameop

Big D wrote:
I don't believe this is the appropriate forum to answer any of your questions or even respond to your post so I won't.

No but you want to drag me into a forum where anything goes. and is not policed as heavily. stalemate there.

Big D wrote:
This forum definitely isn't the appropriate place to vent or pass out insults.

so why bother some place else? if that is all you want to do then do it. you are not going to pull me into the cesspool that you apparently are accustomed to.

Big D wrote:
I see you are member of the Hyperspace forum now and there is a smack talk forum there. Feel free to voice your opinion there and see where it gets you.

i only signed up because it was the only way to see what you apparently did not have the guts to say on a moderated forum.

all i am asking is how old are you?

possibly i am not going to get an answer there if i am not going to get it here. so why should i ask you there if i can not here?

Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:37 pm
Profile YIM
Gameop

CBYNot wrote:
It is entirely possible (and fun!) to spend a whole day doing nothing but playing the game, and using scripts to *enhance* your gameplay working against, and with, other players. They add hundreds of other options that simply DON'T EXIST in the game as it is playing it by hand.

all i wanted was for others to take off their "shoes" before entering my "house"
Quote:
Have you ever watched your fighters being killed, then plocked a sector because you noticed a pattern and you figured out where they were going to hit next?

nope. i stopped playing when BBS's died after the full implement of the internet. only to come back to it on and off a few years later. so in answer to your question. i played against people that did not have quick and instant responses because i was given a "Day" to think my strategy after i and others ran out of "turns"

At the time before my "mental illness" kicked in i was a formidable opponent

Quote:
Have you ever fought a colonizing war in a game that started with 10 million colonists, and you and your corpies needed to get on when they were dropped on Terra and outmaneuver the other team using better tactics to draw them off?

ok i see where your coming from. but i ask is do you see where i am coming from when i ask that you not use automation. and play the game like it was the first time you ever played it? only to get your butt handed to you by someone who apparently knows the game's inner working and uses some sort of automation to play against you.

Quote:
Ever played a turn game where you were tasked with gathering the colonists as they regenerate, to give your team a leg up against the other team?

when the whole team uses automation i can see that you need it but if the whole team on both sides where playing by hand there would be no need to have a leg up.
Quote:
Have you ever used a planet to cautiously grid one sector at a time with someone else running a saveme script, because someone on the other corp will usually be running a pdrop?

I could go on and on. All of these things, and dozens and dozens of finer points of strategy, simply DO NOT EXIST in the game played by hand. It's port, trade, sell, colonize, upgrade, port some more, repeat, repeat. Scripts *encourage* people to be at the keys and playing, they don't discourage them as you seem to think.

if you want to play an action game play an action game. if you want to cheat at an action game. use something that allows you to cheat.

if you don't want to play an action game against someone who is cheating. then play against someone who cheats???

Quote:
Your "AFK bots" hatred is really just hating the people who are most likely to lose against anyone else who actually knows what they are doing, and spends even a little time at the keys. No one wins games by being AFK.

AFK = away from keyboard

but i think you already knew that.

Quote:
To be honest, I think the conflict you've had with everyone here stems from the fact that we're all talking about two different games. There's the ultra-low turn, log-in and play your turns, log out and hope for the best game that you're used to. And then there's the game that TW evolved into over the 20 years since.

i agree.

Quote:
If you really want to replicate that experience of 30-60 mins a day of gameplay, log in, log out TW, I'd suggest doing as others recommend and advertising a game on Facebook, I'm sure there are others out there who remember that game and might like the nostalgia.

sure you can invite those from facebook. but how do you keep away those who still want play by using scripts? and at the same time keeping those who played back then?

Quote:
To save money (and make it nearly impossible for people to use scripts) you could make the only link into your server a Java Telnet link with the telnet address hidden in the code, so the only way a player could go into your game would be to click the Connect Now button on your website and play by typing into your Java window.

do you know of a place where i can learn how to do that? because it sounds good. i would like to go that route.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:28 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran Op

Slotherx3, either ask a question about hosting, answer someone elses's question about hosting or take this crap to another forum. No one really cares about your opinions about scripting here.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Quote:

slother3x wrote:
do you know of a place where i can learn how to do that? because it sounds good. i would like to go that route.

I'd take a look at the source for this website:

http://www.thenexusbbs.com/

I took a look and I don't see the telnet address in the code. It requires your user to have Flash installed, and uses this program:

https://www.ftelnet.ca/

I have never set anything like that up, if you run into problems I'd suggest going into the Megamud game on Nexus and asking if the sysop would be willing to walk you through it. Apparently this is Flash or HTML based, there are also Java Telnet apps out there if you google for them.

-Val

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3