View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Limpits & Limpit Actions 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Limpits & Limpit Actions
John Pritchett wrote:
Well, any time a bug has become an accepted part of the game, like with Limpet clearing, any "fix" is really more like a feature, because it has to be an option.

I'm interested in the broader discussion of how to make Limpets behave more like intended, not just fixing the bug. But I'm also saying, as far as options go, it's probably best to support both the simple bug fix and the "sticky limpet" option.

Most definitely. Thanks John!

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
Well, any time a bug has become an accepted part of the game, like with Limpet clearing, any "fix" is really more like a feature, because it has to be an option.

I've seen some pretty radical changes in MMOs over the years. The players kept playing.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

That's easy for you to say. You're not the one who needs witness protection whenever he makes a small change to this game ;)

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
That's easy for you to say. You're not the one who needs witness protection whenever he makes a small change to this game ;)

ROFLMAO Too funny! :lol:

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:37 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

i have always thought limpets were too powerful. And, as far as cost... well 10k per limpet is puny. This is what i would like to see:
1.) cost of limpets is a sysop option.
2.) number of corp/personal "active" limpets in game is a sysop option.
3.) photon's temporarily neutralize "active" limpets (similar to armid).
4.) "no limpet games" are a sysop option.
5.) this game is shrinking... complicated limpet activity will drive new players away from tradewars. Reading these posts tells me, even the most experienced players are "twisted" over the limpet situation.

3.) photon's numb limpets is the primary point. A player can have predictable outcomes, regardless of level of game experience.

I played a Pirates game year's ago. The opponent's were the fella's that created z-bot. They had the game won, except for my Admiralty. I was fedsafe and carried 40 photons. They and I had a "hoot" as i photon'd under their sectors looking for gaps in their grid. The deciding factor was the use of limpets. They limp'd every sector eventually and i was left at the dock. That bug'd the hell out of me... a measely 10k limpet could stop my 3 million cred ship.

6.) this is the spot for my last comment... Darn, i forgot what it was.

:-)

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:33 am
Gameop

cc bee wrote:
i have always thought limpets were too powerful. And, as far as cost... well 10k per limpet is puny. This is what i would like to see:
1.) cost of limpets is a sysop option.
2.) number of corp/personal "active" limpets in game is a sysop option.
3.) photon's temporarily neutralize "active" limpets (similar to armid).
4.) "no limpet games" are a sysop option.
5.) this game is shrinking... complicated limpet activity will drive new players away from tradewars. Reading these posts tells me, even the most experienced players are "twisted" over the limpet situation.

3.) photon's numb limpets is the primary point. A player can have predictable outcomes, regardless of level of game experience.

I played a Pirates game year's ago. The opponent's were the fella's that created z-bot. They had the game won, except for my Admiralty. I was fedsafe and carried 40 photons. They and I had a "hoot" as i photon'd under their sectors looking for gaps in their grid. The deciding factor was the use of limpets. They limp'd every sector eventually and i was left at the dock. That bug'd the hell out of me... a measely 10k limpet could stop my 3 million cred ship.

6.) this is the spot for my last comment... Darn, i forgot what it was.

:-)

I'd be lying if I said I read the entire thread. I personally am a fan of how it has worked up till current revisions which I'm not that familiar with, but I think the fact that I'm largely partial to 1.0 mechanics is self evident in my general posting.

The game is shrinking because it's a 30 y/o text based game without any fancy graphics and has a low curb appeal to the "younger" generation. Most players are retreads or private/nostalgic from what I have read regarding the demographics JP has provided over the course of the last few years.

I think it's a mistake to make changes that can't be configure to the baseline TWGS we have known for the past XX years JP has developed. To this extent I think JP feels the same way based off recent conversations I have had with him via E-Mail, in that there should be baseline and the option to go crazy via new features, delays and bot-link.

I really like the idea of Photons extending to Limpets, not that it couldn't be overcome by looking at limpets first but that would add a variable to that kind of action and slow it down. I also agree that limpets in general should be highly configurable (not a huge fan of double++ limpets on 1 ship).

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:59 am
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Thanks for your comments, Kaus.
Always thoughtful and concise.

How about a sysop option with the formula:
photon duration + limpet reset = return to active limpet stat

photon 5 second duration + 5 second limpet reset = 10 seconds non activity

after 10 seconds limpets become active and will reveal data to owner, and stick to enemy ship.

Kaus, i have been playing a long time. I play for the strategy aspect of the game. Dig this defence. Pirates, dread flute can land.
i build an overloaded sector adjacent (and blocking) to my gate. i sit in a dread with one of the planets below me, loaded with figs. I have an ig reset running and a refig script running. one of the 20 planet overload has a lv3 cannon sufficient to sd a pod. Enemy photons in, i reset ig, and am ready for battle, they can not destroy any of the overload before destroying me. They can not view the lv3 cannon. They can not stay in sector over extern for fear of planet collision. After enemy is in sector i macro a drop to lv3 and turn on cannon. They attack the dread, i reload. if they get by, cannons in gate pod enemy, they retreat into the unknown lv3 cannon or nav haz.
I know this works, i single handed held off a three man crew. They were laughing their asses off, but they could not break through to my sectors.
That is just one strategy, that i have not seen duplicated.
ps: if my dread is sd'd... my pod retreats through my gate.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:27 pm
Gameop

cc bee wrote:
How about a sysop option with the formula:
photon duration + limpet reset = return to active limpet stat

photon 5 second duration + 5 second limpet reset = 10 seconds non activity

after 10 seconds limpets become active and will reveal data to owner, and stick to enemy ship.

Personally I think the in game photon duration is fine as a timer. I like keeping things simple, so IMHO if photon duration was 10seconds I advocate for limpets to be "disabled" for the same 10 seconds.

Disclaimer: Off-Topic Discussion follows
-------------------------------
cc bee wrote:
Kaus, i have been playing a long time. I play for the strategy aspect of the game. Dig this defense. Pirates, dread flute can land.
i build an overloaded sector adjacent (and blocking) to my gate. i sit in a dread with one of the planets below me, loaded with figs. I have an ig reset running and a refig script running. one of the 20 planet overload has a lv3 cannon sufficient to sd a pod. Enemy photons in, i reset ig, and am ready for battle, they can not destroy any of the overload before destroying me. They can not view the lv3 cannon. They can not stay in sector over extern for fear of planet collision. After enemy is in sector i macro a drop to lv3 and turn on cannon. They attack the dread, i reload. if they get by, cannons in gate pod enemy, they retreat into the unknown lv3 cannon or nav haz.
I know this works, i single handed held off a three man crew. They were laughing their asses off, but they could not break through to my sectors.
That is just one strategy, that i have not seen duplicated.
ps: if my dread is sd'd... my pod retreats through my gate.

I also play for Strategy with gridding strategy and offensive capacity being a forefront of my interest. Whereas base layouts and topography would be a ancilliary interest due to the primary.

What you mention above is a solid defense but requires a at key presence to regulate and ensure they don't outsmart your scripts.

If the players wait till you are no longer at keys, it's just a matter of figuring out your scripts utilized. Fear of movement is negated by a solid grid and that most corps won't evac immediately. So it's all timing in the end, for every strategy there is a counter.

I personally may have given the above scenario:

-Waited till tern and collision
-Loaded a single photon in a high fig ship and PEX'd a corpie into your sector to moth the cannon
-Assuming they lived xport,attack,xport back
-Repeat above till your dead
-Overloaded/Loot your navhaz sector and then evaluated your gate

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 am
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

* CSS broke the formatting of this template.

I like the idea of ships being able to carry multiple limpits.

I think one simple solution to counter flooding space with limits would be ship edits, such as setting such ships with a higher TPW, making them more costly, and having a low mine holding capacity.

Another is to permit custom credit prices in edit, making limpits too costly for unrestrained use.

I also think when in corporation certain features should not be permitted to be set as personal, just auto-default ownership to the corporation.
Such as sector fighters, mines, ships, etc.; perhaps the only option remaining that could be set as personal should be planets and when you leave the corp. your present ship and any ship-in-tow will auto-transfer as personal, and of course any planets personally claimed prior to leaving?

I also like the idea of adding something to update game dynamics, even if just to combat mines, such as an option to purchase phase cannons that would work like photons, just for mines and would be limitless (and perhaps could be a level 1 and 2 upgrade like warp drives and scanners), perhaps they could take out beacons, and other things as well, such as attacking manned or unmanned ships (or even just to be used to take out the shields by a set offensive ratio), ports, and planets--perhaps level 1 would also use from adjacent sector and level 2 from both adjacent and within current sector, or vice versa.

Perhaps they could take out a set number of fighters per use as well (e.g., 1, 5, 25, 100, 1000, etc.), as a game setting; these would of course issue game notices to the owner.

But cheap limpits (alongside a fighter) as they currently are can be too powerful, when somebody is waiting with a decent planet photon script, you are guaranteed toast.

TWX Proxy Reference Online

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:24 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4