View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Unexpected behaviors from Ferrengi and Alien Traders 
Staff Sergeant

Unread post Unexpected behaviors from Ferrengi and Alien Traders
Hi - I am running TWGS v3.34 Gold, and have observed two things regarding AI aliens that I can't explain:

1. When I place some Toll figs in a sector, Aliens seem to be able to warp in and out of there freely without either destroying the figs or paying a toll. Every time I log in, there are hundreds of messages reporting that an Alien or Ferrengi has entered one of my Toll Figged sectors, but there are never any tolls for me to collect, and the figs are not being destroyed. Is this normal, or a bug in the game engine? If I encounter a sector in which the Alien Traders have placed some toll figs, I have to pay the toll or destroy the figs to enter. This is at least an inconsistency, that AI players can do things that "real" players can't.

2. AI players are not being held by my Interdictor Cruiser. If I park my IC in a sector frequented by Alien Traders or Ferrengi, for instance Rylos or Stardock, they can warp in and out freely. The Interdictor Generator only seems to hold the one alien ship I am actually attacking, and any other Alien ships in the sector can still leave. Is this normal? I thought an Interdictor traps all ships in the sector, not just the one ship I am fighting at any given moment.

I have checked all the settings in the Alien Race Editor and can not find any settings that would account for either of these behaviors, so I have to conclude that Immunity to paying Tolls, and ability to ignore an active Ship Interdictor Field (unless under direct attack) are hard-coded into the NONPSERV.exe module. I have not tested whether a Planetary Interdictor Generator (PIG) also lets AI Aliens escape. Is the Interdictor Generator on a ship different in some way, maybe less powerful, than a PIG? Or is this just an anomaly in the game program that lets AI aliens do things that real players can't do?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:37 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: Unexpected behaviors from Ferrengi and Alien Traders
ctsurv553 wrote:
Hi - I am running TWGS v3.34 Gold, and have observed two things regarding AI aliens that I can't explain:

1. When I place some Toll figs in a sector, Aliens seem to be able to warp in and out of there freely without either destroying the figs or paying a toll. Every time I log in, there are hundreds of messages reporting that an Alien or Ferrengi has entered one of my Toll Figged sectors, but there are never any tolls for me to collect, and the figs are not being destroyed. Is this normal, or a bug in the game engine? If I encounter a sector in which the Alien Traders have placed some toll figs, I have to pay the toll or destroy the figs to enter. This is at least an inconsistency, that AI players can do things that "real" players can't.

2. AI players are not being held by my Interdictor Cruiser. If I park my IC in a sector frequented by Alien Traders or Ferrengi, for instance Rylos or Stardock, they can warp in and out freely. The Interdictor Generator only seems to hold the one alien ship I am actually attacking, and any other Alien ships in the sector can still leave. Is this normal? I thought an Interdictor traps all ships in the sector, not just the one ship I am fighting at any given moment.

I have checked all the settings in the Alien Race Editor and can not find any settings that would account for either of these behaviors, so I have to conclude that Immunity to paying Tolls, and ability to ignore an active Ship Interdictor Field (unless under direct attack) are hard-coded into the NONPSERV.exe module. I have not tested whether a Planetary Interdictor Generator (PIG) also lets AI Aliens escape. Is the Interdictor Generator on a ship different in some way, maybe less powerful, than a PIG? Or is this just an anomaly in the game program that lets AI aliens do things that real players can't do?

Ship IDG's do not work in fed space. also the ship must be occupied for it to work.

as far as the Aliens... thats a normal behavior if you dont have them set to aggressive in the behaviors tab. they are retreating. if you turn it on the will kill the figs.

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Unread post Re: Unexpected behaviors from Ferrengi and Alien Traders
> Ship IDG's do not work in fed space.

> Retreat is a normal behavior if you donit have them set to aggressive
> if you turn it on they will kill the figs.

Thanks! That answers both my questions.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]