View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dynamic game design discussion 
1st Sergeant

Unread post Dynamic game design discussion
I'm working on a game design that will progress or change dynamically as time moves on. I'm still learning the details of settings and such things, so I'd love to hear what ideas you guys might have and get some feedback on my own.

Specifically, at this point, I'm toying with the idea of having 'events' occur in the universe every so often to keep things interesting.

The first event I'm looking into is a classic 'Masters of Orion' scenario. In the opening scene of the game a wormhole opened up and an advanced alien race appears, obliterating some distant outpost. In TW fashion, I could effect this by letting a game run for a few weeks to a few months, then introduce a new alien race. Another option I'm considering is tediting the universe after banging to create two distinct pockets. One is where players would thrive in their 'blissful ignorance' and the other pocket would house an alien race that is expanding and growing organically. After those weeks/months, I would create a warp between the two pockets, essentially creating that 'wormhole'.

The second option seems to be the better option, my gut tells me, but I'm not sure how to prevent players from spawning in the alien pocket.

Another plot I'm working to recreate are the Formix wars from Orson Scott Card's Ender's Saga. Honestly the mechanism is similar, but I'm not sure if there is a way to convince an alien race to agressively pursue the players...not just kill on sight. In this case I could, on occasion, inject a large (but limited) number of aliens that the players will have to survive/defeat, and later in the scenario provide them with a planet to overtake and destroy.

Have any of you seen/tried any sort of dynamic game? What have you changed, why, and did it work out the way you hoped?

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others. -Pericles

You can find my server at 166.62.32.246:23. Look forward to seeing you there!

(Still trying to get the domain name working right, but the IP address is solid!)

Always looking for feedback and improvement! Send me a PM with comments/suggestions, please!

Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:19 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Re: Dynamic game design discussion
If the players spawn at Terra, and the aliens in a closed bubble, then they would never meet until you tedited the warps in/out of alien bubble.

Could also put a "neutral zone" of X number of sectors between open space and the alien bubble by making a second, empty bubble to be linked to open space on one side, and the alien bubble on the other, after however many weeks you want to wait.

Adding alien races later on in the game would be problematic, from what I hear that leads to massive data corruption.

But I think you'd be okay adding additional alien worlds later on for same race, or pegged for Rogue Mercenaries.

-Val

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:48 pm
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post Re: Dynamic game design discussion
Interesting idea, where did you end up going with this?

v2.2b Server : Telnet://StevensComputerService.com:2003
TeamSpeak3 : TS3.StevensComputerService.com
FaceBook : https://www.Facebook.com/AidanTheEnforcersTwgs

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]