View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Classic (internal) Ferrengi 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Classic (internal) Ferrengi
My comprehensive Classic Ferrengi Encyclopedia! Yay!

1) Sleep Mode
Classic Ferrengi (and Classic Alien Traders) enter Sleep Mode when no players are logged into the game. Note that Sleep Mode only affects Ferrengi (and Alien Trader) ships. Ferrengi home sector figs will continue to produce, Ferrengal will continue to produce, etc. Note that the Classic Alien Traders have neither of these. But neither Classic Alien Trader or Ferrengi ships will move until players are logged into the game.

2) Settings
There are three settings I've found to control Classic Alien Traders, and five for Classic Ferrengi.

These are the settings I've found:
A) Pre-bang, you can turn the Internal (Classic) Alien Traders and/or the Internal (Classic) Ferrengi on or off.

B) There's another pre-bang setting that allows you to hide Ferrengal in a bubble (assuming bubbles are activated.) Note that this *only* applies to the *Classic* Ferrengal and not the Gold Ferrengal!

C) Post-bang, you can control the Ferrengi's Regeneration rate in tedit, General Settings, page G. More on this later because it can be confusing.

D) Movement rate for Classic Alien Traders and Classic Ferrengi can be controlled in tedit, General Settings, page H. Note: the LOWER the number, the faster they move because the number controls how often the game checks to see if it will allow movement. I usually set the Ferrengi to the default Gold value: 1 per 4 cycles. I'll usually leave the Alien Trader movement rate alone.

E) Editing the individual Ferrengi can be done by hitting "F" in tedit. You then select 1-40. Regardless of which one you select, you can still scroll through all of them. Most of the settings should be pretty self-explanatory. The last setting "Operating Mode" simply distinguishes between "looking for a fight" and "fighting."

Note that the Classic Alien Traders can also be edited by hitting "A" in tedit.
You can easily put an Alien Trader in an ISS with 30K figs, 1K shields, 250 holds, -32K alignment, and 999,999,999 credits. And yes, this allegation has been carefully tested.

3) Ferrengi ships
First, let me say that Classic Alien Trader ships spawn at a rate of one per day (up to fifty Alien Traders.) Presumably, they spawn in the same stock ships that the Gold Alien Traders spawn in. It appears that Classic Alien Traders can spawn anywhere in the universe. My guess is that they have multiple sectors for spawning and re-spawn at the nearest one when destroyed.

There are a maximum of forty Ferrengi ships that spawn in the game: twenty Assault Traders, ten Battle Cruisers, and ten Dreadnoughts. These ships spawn one at a time every three days according to the following schedule:

Day three: first Assault Trader spawns.
Day sixty: last Assault Trader spawns.

Day sixty-three: first Battle Cruiser spawns.
Day ninety: last Battle Cruiser spawns.

Day ninety-three: first Dreadnought spawns.
Day one hundred and twenty: last Dreadnought spawns.

Each of these ships spawn in the Ferrengi home sector and equip figs from the sector figs. There seems to be a minimum amount of figs per ship that they'll spawn with related to the age of the game but I haven't tried to determine the pattern yet. The first ship spawns with 180 figs and 12 shields on day three. Something interesting I noticed is that when a Ferrengi ship spawns and takes the last sector fig, some more sector figs will re-spawn immediately (8000+, which is also the starting sector figs on day zero.)

At day nine the Ferrengi ship(s) have 600 figs and 40 shields. At day thirty they have 1800 figs and 120 shields. It obviously follows a pattern, but I didn't nail it down.

Ferrengi ships initially spawn at extern but re-spawn immediately after being destroyed if there are enough sector figs. If there aren't enough home sector figs to re-spawn a ship according to the age of the game, then it won't re-spawn.

Finally, it's possible to "force spawn" a Ferrengi from menu "F" in tedit. However, force-spawning seems to be glitched:

I created a test game and on day zero put 1M Ferrengi sector figs in their home sector and force-spawned all of the ships. The results were completely disappointing. The Ferrengi ships just sat there and didn't even pick up any figs. They were also unresponsive. After removing the sector figs, I entered their home sector (with 40 Ferrengi) and not one of them attempted to interact with me. I captured the first ship just to see if I could provoke a reaction and nothing happened (except that I captured a ship.) Next, I set the game to 120 days. This caused all of the Ferrengi to start moving and interacting, but none of the ships picked up figs until they had been destroyed and re-spawned naturally. I suppose they might have picked up figs after they moved around a while because they're programmed to check for figs eventually.

The total number of sector figs required to max out all Ferrengi ships at once is 290K.

So just put 290K+ sector figs in the Ferrengi home sector and set the age of the game to 120 days if you want all of the Classic Ferrengi at bang! Lol!

4) Max Ferrengi Figs/Ferrengi Regen
Both of these refer to the Ferrengi figs in the game (ship, sector, and planet.) Max Ferrengi is simply the max number the game will allow. Ferrengi Regen (the setting you can control) determines how fast they reach maximum. There is no easy way to determine the maximum number, since neither tedit nor the game shows it. Also, this number increases by a similarly unknown amount every day. You'll just have to count them manually. If your Regen is set to 100%, this makes it easier to determine the maximum number. Good luck! Lol! BTW: I've noticed that the Ferrengi Regen Rate increases by 50 per day (modified by the percentage you assign) if that tells you anything.

Finally, I'm not sure if the number of sectors in the game determines how many Ferrengi the game generates (ie: does a 30K-sector game allow more Ferrengi than a 1K-sector game?) If I modify it I'll usually set the Ferrengi Regen rate to 1% for 1K universes, 5% for 5K, 30% for 30K, etc. The Ferrengi Regen rate *can* be reduced to zero.

5) Grudges
I don't have any solid info on Grudges, but I've read many articles about it so I assume the info is out there. Each Ferrengi has three slots for grudges, for a total of ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY grudges! That's a lot of hate! Lol!

It seems that I remember reading somewhere that grudges can be INHERITED from deleted players!? But that might have been fixed somewhere along the line...?

According to the TWGS settings for Gold Ferrengi Grudges, they only activate if more than one Gold Ferrengi are in a sector when you attack them. In other words: the Gold Grudge requires a "witness" to the attack to activate. I don't know if Classic Grudges works this way or not.

6) Movement
Classic Ferrengi will deploy sector figs in seemingly random spots throughout the universe as they move around. They tend to deploy figs in sequential sectors, so it's a good idea to scan the surrounding sectors if you encounter sector figs. The sector figs that are deployed throughout the universe are either Defensive or Toll. Please note that this is DIFFERENT from the Gold Aliens that seem to deploy Offensive or Defensive figs.

At some point Ferrengi ships will "return" to their home sector to replenish fighters. Oh, btw: They will ONLY use one path in and one path out of their home sector.

Classic Ferrengi *can* enter FedSpace, and of course the Feds will always ignore them.

7) Home Sector
Note: Changing a sector name to "The Ferrengi Empire" does *not* create an additional home sector! Too bad... But wouldn't that be confusing to the players if you did it anyway? *ESPECIALLY* if you dropped a beacon and figs there! ;-)

As I mentioned earlier, the starting sector figs for Ferrengi on day zero are (approx) 8000. It always seems to be slightly more. After bang, sector figs generate at extern or if a Ferrengi ship takes the last fig.

A regen rate of 20% will generate sector figs at a rate of ten times the age of the game. So on day one they'll generate ten figs. On day 1000 they'll generate 10,000 (per day!) And etc. These numbers only spawn as sector figs in the Ferrengi home sector. If Ferrengal is still controlled by the Ferrengi, then my guess is that the planet's production is accounted for when spawning new figs. Or maybe not, since planetary figs are constantly being produced and sector figs (usually) only spawn at Extern! Player and Ferrengi consumption will always skew the number you're expecting to find.

At the beginning of the game, the sector figs are Offensive. If the sector figs are *completely* removed (destroyed by players or taken by Ferrengi ships,) then respawning figs will be Defensive.

If you want to have 1M Ferrengi figs on day zero, the best place to put them is the sector. And keep them Offensive.

For players to prevent new Ferrengi fighters from spawning in the home sector, there must be non-Ferrengi sector figs deployed there. These figs can be rogue or owned by any player, or even SysOp-edited to be "Pirate," "Federation," etc. As long as the sector fighters are *not* Ferrengi, then the Ferrengi will not spawn new figs (besides the planet, if applicable.) If the home sector is left without sector figs, then the Ferrengi will continue spawning new sector figs at extern.

8 ) Ferrengal
Ferrengal starts with some population and 10,000 figs (more like 11-12.) Ferrengal can be edited just like any other planet. It can be made indestructable in tedit, General Settings, page H. This just means that Atomic Detonators won't work on it. The Classic Ferrengi will ignore all planets, including this one. Once the planet is captured, the Ferrengi will never create planetary figs anywhere for the rest of the game. The reason that's important is because it affects the total number of Ferrengi figs. Fighters on Ferrengal are basically useless since they're not a threat until a player attempts to land. So if you put 1M figs on Ferrengal on day zero then you'll likely exceed the Maximum Ferrengi by such a large margin that it will be (days? weeks? months?) before the Regen will start up.

9) Encounters
Density Scan Values
Classic Alien Trader: 40, probably
Ferrengi Assault Trader: 40, verified (same as another player)
Ferrengi Battle Cruiser: 100 (same as a port)
Ferrengi Dreadnought: *DOES NOT SHOW UP ON A DENSITY SCAN!*
Player in a Dreadnought: 40 (your alien physiology is incompatible, hooman! lol!)

Ships can be engaged and captured/destroyed just like any other. Never surrender! Lol! Seriously, surrendering sometimes destroys you without a fight so it's better to flee if you can.

I don't think it's possible to interact with a Classic Alien Trader enough to surrender. I believe you're limited to initiating an attack and then the alien immediately flees. And they don't trade at ports, either. The only real use for Classic Alien Traders are to attack to change your alignment and increase your experience.

Classic Ferrengi do *not* have FedSpace protection and can be attacked anywhere in the universe without retaliation from the Feds. Classic Alien Traders can have FedSpace protection if they meet the criteria:
a) zero or positive alignment
b) experience less than 1000
c) less than 100 figs

Classic Alien Traders avoid sectors with figs, planets, or mines. They do not activate limpet mines.

Classic Ferrengi will avoid sectors with too many figs. Enough armid mines will destroy them, but they don't seem to care. They seem to ignore planets completely. Ferrengi will also not activate limpet mines.

10) Gold PLUS Classic in the SAME GAME!?!?!?!
If you have Gold and Classic Ferrengi in the same game, and you encounter both in the same sector, you will see the Classic Ferrengi listed FIRST. If you have ANSI enabled, the word "Ferrengi" will be brown. The Gold Ferrengi will be listed SECOND, and the word "Ferrengi" will be yellow.

If you have Gold and Classic Alien Traders in the same game, and you encounter both in the same sector, you will see the Classic Alien Trader listed FIRST. If you have ANSI enabled, the word "Aliens" will be brown. The Gold Alien Trader will be listed SECOND, and the word "Alien Tr" will be yellow.

More updates as I figure them out.

24.211.122.98:2002

MicroBlaster:
http://www.microblaster.net/ServerDetai ... erverid=66

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Last edited by Lionmane on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 115 times in total.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:37 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Re: Classic (internal) Ferrengi
Please delete.

MicroBlaster:

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Last edited by Lionmane on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Please delete.

MicroBlaster:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Please delete

MicroBlaster:

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:58 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Please delete

MicroBlaster:

Last edited by Lionmane on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Please delete.

MicroBlaster:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]