View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Feature request: Game auto reset 
Lieutenant

Unread post Feature request: Game auto reset
I have a feature request for the next twgs version, if there ever is one.

I would like a feature that auto resets (rebangs) a game based on certain conditions being met, that should be definable by the sysop (to some extent). For alien games, it should be possible to have the game auto reset when all three alien planets are capped (capture the flag sort of scenario); for other games, maybe if the game has over a certain number of figs (indicating it was active) and remains empty with no logins, or no logins by more than one team, for a week.

This would eliminate the frankly stupid behavior of a number of players who refuse to enter games around the rebang time and simply wait for them to get played out and dead, and for the other team to either time out or abandon the game; then go and try to capture the other team's assets with no resistance.

I get that some people aren't good enough to play against other humans, but that's what cruncher's server is for. Because there are so few active players and many sysops forget or don't get around to banging games when they're finished, a look at micro's on a given days shows dozens or even hundreds of dead games that are either abandoned or, worse yet, had all the ports blown and are unplayable.

Yes, I admit I sometimes blow ports too, and I am doing it more now because this feature doesn't exist and I have to protect games from the aforementioned idiots who don't play against other people until they quit a game. I hate blowing ports and think it's stupid but it's necessitated at times by the behavior of other players.

Thank you for your consideration.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:18 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Unread post Re: Feature request: Game auto reset
I have a list of 17(so far) ideas for features for when and or if JP ever returns. yours is on that list.

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Star Killer wrote:
I have a list of 17(so far) ideas for features for when and or if JP ever returns. yours is on that list.

sk

Thanks sk. I figured it wasn't the first time someone thought of this; certainly it's very beneficial to sysops as well as addressing the concerns I brought up. I figured it was on the list but hadn't seen it called out.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:53 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

I had a script I wrote that would shutdown the game, rebang at a set time X=minutes , then configure the changes I had using the same seed or new one and set a timer for when to open. I have used it in years though.

Came in handy for resetting games when I couldn't be home to take care of things.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant

T0yman wrote:
I had a script I wrote that would shutdown the game, rebang at a set time X=minutes , then configure the changes I had using the same seed or new one and set a timer for when to open. I have used it in years though.

Came in handy for resetting games when I couldn't be home to take care of things.

Yeah, another idea that's related to this (and I am sure has come up before) is some sort of capture-the-flag mode, where once a player or corp "captures" something (could be one alien planet, all alien planets, whatever), the game either auto closes and notifies the sysop, or auto schedules a rebang.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]