View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Functional (larger) fed space 
Lieutenant

Unread post Functional (larger) fed space
Another idea I've been thinking about, that would solve several problems - if implemented fully, it could make the idea of a "truce" mode something that applies to every game at the start, and it would enable players to enter and participate in games even after someone has taken control.

The solution: Expand the size of fed space, possibly to 100 sectors (probably should be configurable). Put stardock in that fed space with a direct safe path that can't be figged. Allow players who are blue, and possibly commissioned as well, to create, colonize and upgrade planets to L4 -- but with no cannons able to fire. And here's the key - prevent any player from invading or capturing another player's planets in that fed space. (could be the usual "zyrain gonna blow yo @zz up if you do that dude" type of message)

Combined with invincible ports in fed space, this creates a 100 sector 'sandbox' where any player can come into a game, get started, make planets, cash (presuming there is good port density) and not get deaded. Then, when they are sufficiently able to protect themselves, a player could choose to leave the space and go out into the mean alleys of non fed space - but they would need to move any planets out of there if they plan to go red, because if they lose the commish, any planets they had in fed go rogue or disappear.

I think this actually benefits both the red players and the blue players (or for that matter, reds who arrive late to a game that one or more players/teams has figged out). It benefits the teams in control because it creates potential victims for them, assuming those players would eventually leave protected space. And it benefits the new players/late players because they actually have a chance to get started in a game and go after the guys who are in control.

This is my best answer to the problem we're all aware of - that the first skilled red player in an unlim has a 95% chance of controlling the game, especially if they have more than a 5 or 10 minute lead time. I'm not bitching about that or wanting to Cruncher-ify the game; I utilize aggressive tactics at the start of games as much as anyone. The problem is that we've created a mutually-assured destruction scenario now where if you get in and someone else is in, both skilled players trying to get started, it is in the best interest of both players to immediately kill off the other because if they don't, there is a high likelihood they will be killed. If the other guy is running wsst and trying to get going fast, you sit there and try to foton them or drop personal figs in lanes to force them blue. This, in turn, creates the outcome where virtually every unlim or high turn game ends up as a single player game within 24 hours, regardless of how many show up when it opens.

Some will probably say "stop being an a$$hole and killing everyone on day zero" but I have had it done to me just as many times as I've done it. It is frankly the only smart thing to do given the way the game works right now, and it sucks for almost everyone because the games end up being no fun.

I think this expanded fed with planets idea might help solve that. It only works if you can have planets where you can make and store figs and colos so you can eventually get out of there and have a fighting chance.

Thoughts? I am really trying to solve a problem and make the game more fun here. Of course, I completely would want this to be a sysop option so we could continue to run games the way we do now - something that could be turned on or off easily.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 am
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

Unread post Re: Functional (larger) fed space
Actually as I was typing that, thought of another one. Planets should go pwarp at l3 and cannons at l4. I have no idea why it's done the other way because l3 planets are effectively useless in a game with turns/figs and fotons turned on. Makes more sense to make the planet moveable first then allow the defensive cannons.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:15 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Shadow wrote:
Another idea I've been thinking about, that would solve several problems - if implemented fully, it could make the idea of a "truce" mode something that applies to every game at the start, and it would enable players to enter and participate in games even after someone has taken control.

The solution: Expand the size of fed space, possibly to 100 sectors (probably should be configurable). Put stardock in that fed space with a direct safe path that can't be figged. Allow players who are blue, and possibly commissioned as well, to create, colonize and upgrade planets to L4 -- but with no cannons able to fire. And here's the key - prevent any player from invading or capturing another player's planets in that fed space. (could be the usual "zyrain gonna blow yo @zz up if you do that dude" type of message)

Combined with invincible ports in fed space, this creates a 100 sector 'sandbox' where any player can come into a game, get started, make planets, cash (presuming there is good port density) and not get deaded. Then, when they are sufficiently able to protect themselves, a player could choose to leave the space and go out into the mean alleys of non fed space - but they would need to move any planets out of there if they plan to go red, because if they lose the commish, any planets they had in fed go rogue or disappear.

I think this actually benefits both the red players and the blue players (or for that matter, reds who arrive late to a game that one or more players/teams has figged out). It benefits the teams in control because it creates potential victims for them, assuming those players would eventually leave protected space. And it benefits the new players/late players because they actually have a chance to get started in a game and go after the guys who are in control.

This is my best answer to the problem we're all aware of - that the first skilled red player in an unlim has a 95% chance of controlling the game, especially if they have more than a 5 or 10 minute lead time. I'm not bitching about that or wanting to Cruncher-ify the game; I utilize aggressive tactics at the start of games as much as anyone. The problem is that we've created a mutually-assured destruction scenario now where if you get in and someone else is in, both skilled players trying to get started, it is in the best interest of both players to immediately kill off the other because if they don't, there is a high likelihood they will be killed. If the other guy is running wsst and trying to get going fast, you sit there and try to foton them or drop personal figs in lanes to force them blue. This, in turn, creates the outcome where virtually every unlim or high turn game ends up as a single player game within 24 hours, regardless of how many show up when it opens.

Some will probably say "stop being an a$$hole and killing everyone on day zero" but I have had it done to me just as many times as I've done it. It is frankly the only smart thing to do given the way the game works right now, and it sucks for almost everyone because the games end up being no fun.

I think this expanded fed with planets idea might help solve that. It only works if you can have planets where you can make and store figs and colos so you can eventually get out of there and have a fighting chance.

Thoughts? I am really trying to solve a problem and make the game more fun here. Of course, I completely would want this to be a sysop option so we could continue to run games the way we do now - something that could be turned on or off easily.

Vger On the old ice9 had a script system that basiclly did what you talking about he created a 2000 sector bubble that you could only access though sec 11 and then had a maint script running that would keep it clear of figs and mines. he gave me all the scripts but they are very complex with no instructins. i have messed with it but i think a few of the key ones are missing.
but i do think bigger fed spaces should be an option. as far as your planet idea i like it to.

i would also to see planet cits be able to change. the order or ablity to disable some levels like having shielded planets that can't move. stuff like that.

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

I went a little differently and wrote a script that swept an area 5 out from SD and Fed Space. Sweeping 2000 sectors takes some time and puts a load on the server unless you do bursts of 50 sectors at a time with a random delay built in.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Sergeant Major

I like the idea of expanding fed space a bit, gives noobs a chance to play, or people late to the game.

But the change i would like to see is photons off for the first 5 days, and in addition to not being able to photon into fed space, also not being allowed to photon 'from' fed space either.

And while I am here today, a big TY to whomever mods and runs the forums/site, its good to have a place for people to go and find stuff out, make suggestions, etc... :->

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:59 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

I would think a side-effect of increasing the number of FedSpace sectors would be an increase in the number of Major Spacelane sectors. I'm not sure if I would want to increase *that.*

TroyTiger wrote:
And while I am here today, a big TY to whomever mods and runs the forums/site, its good to have a place for people to go and find stuff out, make suggestions, etc... :->

I forgot to put my reading glasses on. How big is the tv?

66.26.112.116:2002

MicroBlaster:
http://www.microblaster.net/ServerDetai ... erverid=66

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Thu May 31, 2018 10:56 pm
Ambassador

Lionmane wrote:
I would think a side-effect of increasing the number of FedSpace sectors would be an increase in the number of Major Spacelane sectors. I'm not sure if I would want to increase *that.*

I think increased fedspace is a much needed feature because we now have 30K sector universes, and if JP ever starts on v4.x there could be even larger universes.
Space lanes are defined as the paths between class 0/9 ports, and probably shouldn't change.
The big question for me is weather more space is desired around SOL only, or should stardoc/rylos/alpha centauri be included.

A related feature request would be more class 0 / 9 ports, because the larger universes really needs more of these as well, and possibly even more sources for Colos.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]