View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Stock games 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Stock games
Does anyone have an OFFICIAL EIS 1000 sector, 250 turn stock?

Also, the 5K stock on Microblaster doesn't work. Does anyone have that?
http://www.microblaster.net/TWAs.aspx

Are there official 10K, 20K, 30K edits?

66.26.112.116:2002

MicroBlaster:
http://www.microblaster.net/ServerDetai ... erverid=66

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:50 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: Stock games
Hi. I might be mistaken, but isn’t the ‘offical’ stock edit the Default Game settings when a new game-slot is created in TWGS, and then banged in TEdit?

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

I suppose. But what are the turns for each sized sector? 1K is 250 turns. 5K is 1K turns (according to the TWA on Micro's site.) But I don't know the default turns for the bigger-sized universes.

MicroBlaster:

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:10 pm
Commander

Lionmane wrote:
I suppose. But what are the turns for each sized sector? 1K is 250 turns. 5K is 1K turns (according to the TWA on Micro's site.) But I don't know the default turns for the bigger-sized universes.

I have to confess that I’m not sure what information you’re referring too. A Game-Op picks the number of turns he/she feels appropriate. There are other settings you could adjust to make Turns more valuable, things like: Low Port Density, Increase TPW on ships, Increase Product requirement for Citadels, etc. ...but then you’re moving away from Stock settings.

You can have 250 turns in a 5k verse in a stock game, I don’t think TWGS cares or adjusts the default turn limit. Be aware that some ‘stock’ edits have slightly faster settings: faster planet development, small ship tweaks, etc.

In the end, Player feedback will likely be a huge deciding factor.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

I should clarify what I mean by "stock game."

If I bang a 1000-sector universe and leave ALL of the settings to default but change the turns-per-day to be "unlimited" then I do NOT consider that a stock game.

On the other hand, if I bang a 1000-sector universe and change the port density to be 60% and the increase the planet density, but left everything else alone and assigned 250 turns per day to it, I would consider that CLOSER to being a stock game than the previous example.

I understand the settings can have almost or more of an impact on the game as the turns-per-day, but it just "feels" stock when I see 1K sectors, 250 turns.

So I guess what I'm really asking is "How many turns should I assign a default-settings game with 10K, 20K, & 30K sectors for it to be considered TRUE stock?"

Edit:

So how does this sound? A stock 10K sectors would have 1250 turns/day. 20K sectors would have 1500 turns/day. 30K sectors would have 1750 turns/day. Does that sound like a reasonable turn limit for what would be called a "stock" game of those sizes?

MicroBlaster:

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:12 pm
Commander

Lionmane wrote:
So I guess what I'm really asking is "How many turns should I assign a default-settings game with 10K, 20K, & 30K sectors for it to be considered TRUE stock?"

Edit:

So how does this sound? A stock 10K sectors would have 1250 turns/day. 20K sectors would have 1500 turns/day. 30K sectors would have 1750 turns/day. Does that sound like a reasonable turn limit for what would be called a "stock" game of those sizes?

Yeah sure. I was going to suggest getting a percentile (TURNS-DAY divided-by SECTORS) 250 / 1000 = 0.25 ....and then use that result to scale upwards: (SECTORS * 0.25) 10,000 * 0.25 = 2,500 Turns ....etc.

However, I believe that a 'True' Stock edit would really never have more than 1,000 turns, and never more than 10k sectors.

Hope that helps.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I've tried the turns-per-sector thing, but I came to the same conclusion: it just doesn't scale correctly.

If you check out MicroBlaster's TWA list you'll see "Stock Game" by EIS. Unfortunately, it won't download and none of the links associated with it will work. But it has 5K sectors and 1K turns, so the rest of the information is almost easy to figure out (assuming Classic aliens.) This ratio of turns/sectors drops to 20%, so I assumed the ratio would drop again for each size upgraded.

MicroBlaster:

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]