View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Planets 
Staff Sergeant

Unread post Planets
I have been learning quite a bit in my game on Cruncher's server, and I have been reading about planets, base building, planet trading, etc.. and I have a couple questions about planets.

I see that H's are great for defense, transporting, and fuel ore generation, while O's are great for their great organics generation and selling those to ports for credits. L planets have fairly quick citadel build times. I am wondering if there is any reason to make more than 1 L class planet?

Also, which is better, sitting an O under a port and leaving it or colo it to the max Fuel Ore and Organics production and warp it around to sell more?

Thanks!

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:04 am
Commander

Unread post Re: Planets
Briana wrote:
I have been learning quite a bit in my game on Cruncher's server, and I have been reading about planets, base building, planet trading, etc.. and I have a couple questions about planets.

I see that H's are great for defense, transporting, and fuel ore generation, while O's are great for their great organics generation and selling those to ports for credits. L planets have fairly quick citadel build times. I am wondering if there is any reason to make more than 1 L class planet?

Also, which is better, sitting an O under a port and leaving it or colo it to the max Fuel Ore and Organics production and warp it around to sell more?

Thanks!

You should always build more than 1 L class planet or multiple differences in the same sector. For instance if you have 5 planets in your front sector then if it's an older edit (basic no frills) it's suggested to have 4 Volcanics and 1 Mountain or Desert Wasteland (I believe the wasteland is L if I'm correct). As far as O's go. Once you get bigger and need more space it's smart to have multiple O's under Multiple ports. now if you don't want to spend the time building all of those ports and those planets remember that O's can only hold so much Oragnics and It will take what 10 days to max it to 1 million organics if the ratio is 1/1? If the edit is stands I believe it will hold only 100k colos and the ports themselves only do what 32k? If it's edited a bit then it probably sells off 65k? So think of it this way I suppose. if you plan on putting a 100k colos on 1 oceanic and only plan on upping 3 XBX ports to full buying power then you're fine. But in hind site you might be limiting yourself cash which could come in handing if you plan on invading another corp or protecting yourself from another corp. Hope this helps.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:13 pm
Warrant Officer

The numbers you need to match up are the planet production rate and the port regeneration rate. An O in a stock game maxes production at 100k colonists producing 50k orgs per day. If your game edit has max port capacity of 32,760 and regenerates 50% per day, then that port can only buy 16,380 per day. That is about 1/3 of a planet production, so it would take 3 ports to serve one O. The port and planet max numbers are not so important. It is the flows, rather than the stocks, that you have to balance.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:39 am
Profile ICQ
Staff Sergeant

I have figured out the port production matching. But my question was geared more towards what planets types to keep and how many. I know H, O and L are the only types worth the effort. But, what I was trying to determine is if there is a need for more than 1 L. The reason for the question was because H's are the defense planets, and O's are the money makers.

A day or two after I originally wrote this post, I had someone invade some of my planets. The problem I became very aware of is the fact that Photon Missiles are completely overpowered and render everything worthless. If you don't have L5 citadels, with 200+ shields, quasar cannons are next to pointless. After this incident, I came to the idea that multiple L's are good to use as your door defense because they get to L5 the fastest. Once your H's get that high, then you should use those for door defense.

Am I on the right track now?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:14 pm
Ambassador

Briana wrote:
I have figured out the port production matching. But my question was geared more towards what planets types to keep and how many. I know H, O and L are the only types worth the effort. But, what I was trying to determine is if there is a need for more than 1 L. The reason for the question was because H's are the defense planets, and O's are the money makers.

A day or two after I originally wrote this post, I had someone invade some of my planets. The problem I became very aware of is the fact that Photon Missiles are completely overpowered and render everything worthless. If you don't have L5 citadels, with 200+ shields, quasar cannons are next to pointless. After this incident, I came to the idea that multiple L's are good to use as your door defense because they get to L5 the fastest. Once your H's get that high, then you should use those for door defense.

Yes, you are. Though its been suggested that you make a minimal investment in a base until they are level 4 or higher. See this take on base building by The Reverend
http://tw-cabal.navhaz.com/strategy/basebuilding.html

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Briana wrote:

You may also want to download TWGS and load it on your own machine to test scenarios locally, when you can control everything. I did that myself, I would replicate the defenses I had in the live game, on my own computer, then try to invade. Particularly when playing with photons.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TW CABAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

OH, NO!!!! ANOTHER website devoted to Tradewars has gone down!

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMED!

66.26.112.116:2002

MicroBlaster:
http://www.microblaster.net/ServerDetai ... erverid=66

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 am
Ambassador

Lionmane wrote:
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TW CABAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

OH, NO!!!! ANOTHER website devoted to Tradewars has gone down!

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMED!

Just use this:

(created with Traitor's permission)

Attachments:
TW-Cabal_pdf.zip [781.05 KiB]
Downloaded 497 times

I had to ask myself WWSGD?
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Does anyone know how to contact Singularity?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:20 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

I tried on Facebook, his Singularity account, I doubt he will answer but we will see. I'll also look for a email addy for him. I think I may have one.

HHT 2020

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]