View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

Forum rules

In game or game related smack only. Any foul language or topics that are non-game related will be dealt with by the forum moderator. If at any point this forum gets out of hand or in someway effects the games community this forum will be closed.

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Official ICE 2020 Smack 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Official ICE 2020 Smack
Star Killer wrote:
Hammers suggestion of removing all off the warps out of Terra is the viable option. putting them back would only take a second

I agree... and all players would see the change at the same time. The script would be easy to write too...

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

rider2 wrote:
Yeah, ok. I have been going thru tourney after tourney forum.
You see everyone screaming about this in any of them?(i was in several)
What specific game would Micro be referring to?

I'm sure I've seen this before and thought nothing of it (mainly because game start wasn't quite as critical).

I'm not sure if mombot always logged in this way i.e. hit the twgs menu and kept polling till the game opened, I think I added that more recently. However I've been doing it for years, before mombot days. Maybe others haven't?

Using the short cut key to disconnect on TWX and your back online within 2-3 seconds. So back in less competitive start days, who cares if you a bit late?

Seems like a TWGS issue when 12+ people are on the "game will open soon menu". We all get the "Game is opening".. and disconnect. Add that with other info provided by those in the know about it's development.. then this would be my first area of investigation.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:20 pm
Ambassador

Hammer_2 wrote:
rider2 wrote:

I'm sure I've seen this before and thought nothing of it (mainly because game start wasn't quite as critical).
OK, nothing "Exactly" like this has ever happened. We used to play with integrity, and basically everyone was free to come and go from dock during the first 15 minutes of the game. Various players would get disconnected, and the server would freeze up for anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple minutes when everyone was running ZTM at the same time. Being the first corp into the game so you could lock down dock and kill everyone wasn't important. Doing so is also a waste of resources you would need for the long game.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:13 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Warrant Officer

Micro wrote:
We used to play with integrity, and basically everyone was free to come and go from dock during the first 15 minutes of the game.

You are living in some fantasy. I don't know where you played competition games but it wasn't with "Phoenix Rising" and Alexio would slap you if you said that was a ""Damage Unlimited" tactic.

As LoCuTiS said last night "yea any game i have ever played is all about start...and i have never seen a server get that fooked at start.,. even with 3x more people entering"

We have been using the same login routine the whole time, we just changed what it did after. If this had happened before we would have noticed in the last few YEARS I would think.

It would appear this is not against the rules. I guess I should get to work on reverse engineering how to nuke a server now that it is a valid tactic.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 am
Lieutenant

Micro wrote:
Hammer_2 wrote:
rider2 wrote:

OK, nothing "Exactly" like this has ever happened. We used to play with integrity, and basically everyone was free to come and go from dock during the first 15 minutes of the game. Various players would get disconnected, and the server would freeze up for anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple minutes when everyone was running ZTM at the same time. Being the first corp into the game so you could lock down dock and kill everyone wasn't important. Doing so is also a waste of resources you would need for the long game.

OMG you are absolutely kidding right? Have you ever played tradewars before? I mean besides as a xanos bot?

Killing people at start being a waste of resources? Wow, that's a new approach. You familiar with that novel idea, Hammer? Tell me, do you think it's a waste of resources to kill people at start? Does any player who has ever led a team want to step up and reply and say they think that? Let us know, I'll wait.

I like you, Micro, but every word of this post was laughably wrong. At no time in the entire history of TW tournaments has it not been the goal to wipe out as many people as fast as possible. In fact, a veteran player on my team - I won't speak for him but you know him and maybe he'll speak up - posted in our chat a few minutes into this game that he was amazed that it was 5 minutes into the game and someone was still able to sit on dock, not fedsafe, and not die instantly, and that that could never have happened in the heydey when there were multiple teams.

I am not sure what this post was the product of, but it is not reality.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:02 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Micro wrote:
We used to play with integrity, and basically everyone was free to come and go from dock during the first 15 minutes of the game. Various players would get disconnected, and the server would freeze up for anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple minutes when everyone was running ZTM at the same time.

What do you mean 'use to'? I'll have you know that I sat at Dock, with zero turns, and -41 Alignment for almost 20mins, and no one tried to SD me.

I don't know if you're inexperienced or being intellectually dishonest. In a Tournament, if you showed up at Dock not-Fed safe, you're going to die. Extract as much 'integrity' from that as you'd like. The only difference between this Tournament, and all previous tournaments (that i've played), was: Speed. Everything that has ever happened in a game, happened. The hiccup that occurred at opening has been addressed and fixed. So, it's a non issue for us, far as I'm concerned.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Lieutenant

rider2 wrote:
It would appear this is not against the rules. I guess I should get to work on reverse engineering how to nuke a server now that it is a valid tactic.

Oh, that's an easy one.

I can crash any server on any version of tw with a simple tcp attack that hackers started using, if I can best recall, around 1994 -- we discovered it then when I was the CISO of a large ISP. It is mostly fixed in modern TCP/IP stacks but not in whatever you compiled Delphi with in the last millennium.

You should know this, you've seen me demonstrate it on my own server, on a hosted network with IP filtering and DDos protection. For testing purposes only, of couse.

Fortunately, I generally have no motivation to actually use such an attack, since it would actually be against my best interest in winning a game. But, I can tell you it's trivial.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:07 am
Profile ICQ
Warrant Officer

Shadow wrote:
You should know this, you've seen me demonstrate it on my own server, on a hosted network with IP filtering and DDos protection. For testing purposes only, of couse.

LOL. Yes, I know, but I want to add it as a button to the new helper so I can just tie it to a event or fire it off whenever I want to. It's not a game bug anymore, it is a "Feature", simply undocumented functionality:)

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 am
Lieutenant

rider2 wrote:
Shadow wrote:

LOL. Yes, I know, but I want to add it as a button to the new helper so I can just tie it to a event or fire it off whenever I want to. It's not a game bug anymore, it is a "Feature", simply undocumented functionality:)

Not sure that's such a good idea, but I know you're mostly being facetious.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:32 am
Profile ICQ
Warrant Officer

Noooo, think about it. ie:
No more defender needed.
When they hit our door we drop the board and force them to relog in that sector. We know it is coming and will be back first. I'll have it send out a subspace first "Mayhem DoRelog".

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:02 am
Commander

rider2 wrote:
Noooo, think about it. ie:
No more defender needed.
When they hit our door we drop the board and force them to relog in that sector. We know it is coming and will be back first. I'll have it send out a subspace first "Mayhem DoRelog".

While i know you guys are just pissed..from now on i'm always going to wonder anytime that something weird like this happens on a server... that you guys are not pulling something....

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Warrant Officer

Star Killer wrote:
While i know you guys are just pissed..from now on i'm always going to wonder anytime that something weird like this happens on a server... that you guys are not pulling something....

Well, you can be sure it wasn't us this time.
We obviously didn't plan for it.
But if it is now part of the game, a "v2 issue" .......
We play the game.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 pm
Commander

rider2 wrote:
Star Killer wrote:

Well, you can be sure it wasn't us this time.
We obviously didn't plan for it.
But if it is now part of the game, a "v2 issue" .......
We play the game.

Again We still don't know 100% what happened. but, based on some of the things i have been reading the last few days from 2012 after v2 was released there where some similar issues reported. nothing exact but close.
Do a search of the forum for 'V2 connection issues' and go back to 2012.

But you could be right and that it was some kind of DOS attack. but since I can't get the logs we may never know. In the future I will take steps to avoid it. been talking to my host and on thier higher end server's they have better software to "monitor and Help prevent those kinds of problems"
Next time I will invest the money to make sure players on my server have a clean game.

I also will try and figure out a rule that if there is not a clean start then we will reset and try again... This is problematic however because what if one corp has a good start and another does not? what do we do then? One corp will want to restart and the other would not. and one corp would quit no matter what I did. So I'd still be screwed no matter what.

And as far as V2 goes.....Well you don't have to worry about that at least for my tourney's now because I am NOT going to host another tourney on V2. I tried twice and had issues with both games. It works fine for a normal day to day server but can't handle larger games...IMO

I Also know that anything I say from this point on will be attacked. So i'm done talking about this.... If I ever find out what happened i will post it on this forum....

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Star Killer wrote:
sk

These guys, who both appear to be computer experts, are talking openly about attacking the severs in future tournament games.

I don't know a lot about computers but I know scammers when I see them.

They are playing you.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:22 pm
Warrant Officer

prestone2 wrote:
I don't know a lot about computers but I know scammers when I see them.

LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We aren't exactly lurking in the 'Shadows' waiting to get you though are we?
It's just reality, deal with it.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next