View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Black Market edit 
Hall of Famer

Unread post Re: Black Market edit
Kavanagh wrote:
Yop_Solo wrote:
Parrothead wrote:
Mixed corps have been the way of tradewars since the beginning. Blue to Colo and hunt Reds to cash was the way since BBS days. Roleplaying is WOW. TW is more like chess.

It's your opinion Parrothead. When i was young, I played to this game and it wasn't a technical game with script... there was a software to help us to find good pair ports and manualy we could trade between each of them. The trader was going into the tavern on stardock and chating...

But if you play with a the limited sight (the technical TW2002 chess play), you will see a game with parameters that allow to be corp in evil with good, and other parameters that weren't think by JP because, the peeps weren't thinking as a powerscripter player will think... If the kind of players you are were being in '80 when he created the game, he should parameters the game with a lot of differences.

Every few years, a poster writes that scripts were not in use in TW way back when. This is simply untrue, they go back to the earliest days. Phil Crown wrote a suite of scripts in Telix SALT in the early 90's, and released them to the public domain 1n 1993. I restarted playing in 1996 and almost immediately started writing in SALT (after being disgusted with Zoc), I was too cheap to buy a helper. Several others were scripting at the time, SALT, Qmodem Procomm and I think Telemate.

Yup, scripts were in use since the earliest days. I was also too cheap to buy a helper so I started programming in Telemate. Still, we didn't have the super scripts of today nor did we know as much about the game as we do now. Back then, SST was still the best thing an evil could do.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

for my knowledge, explain SST.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:05 pm
Hall of Famer

Not to knock you but these are Tradewars basics. You should perhaps learn the game as it is played before developing ideas of how you'd like to see it played.

http://www.tw-cabal.com/glossary.html#SST:

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

SST stand for STEAL SELL TRANSPORT

Red played STEALS Product usually EQ. Then Sells the product back to the port Then Xports to new port then repeats.

2 red players running on three ports or 3 or more red players running on 2 ports can clear each others BUSTS (the game only tracks the last bust).

A blue player can bring Personal Ships that the reds can destroy to replace the holds lost.

This runs around 14000 credits per turn spent done correctly.

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

A RED/BLUE Server script (as Big D suggests) would not change the game play in your edit as no cashing is needed after PPT at start. It is a trophy planet game. Which has been done and enjoyed by many.

Why did we blow planets up?.....lousy planets that wouldn't go mobile for a while or don't produce any useful product or fig.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:36 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Parrothead wrote:
A RED/BLUE Server script (as Big D suggests) would not change the game play in your edit as no cashing is needed after PPT at start.

Actually I didn't suggest it. YS suggested it, Prom said it could be a good idea, and I pointed out one way it could be done.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Commander

I stand corrected.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:11 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

Big D wrote:
Promethius wrote:
One thing the discussion has made me think and somewhat in line with what Yop_Solo is talking about is that a mixed corp would be somewhat more realistic in regard to red/blue if it was the alignment that changed instead of experience. It would make some interesting situations if alignments were such that a blue went red at extern or the red when blue. A whole lot more attacks on pers figs to flip alignments....A blue running a twarp attack script suddenly flipping red at extern while in a Fed ship would be kind of funny.

Actually Prom, this could easily be done by server side script. What would even be more dramatic is if it were done on a random basis instead of just at extern. For instance, maybe once or twice a day a script randomly checks mixed corp alignment and if the corp alignment is positive, flip all reds to 0 alignment, or if the corp alignment is negative, flip all blues to 0 alignment.

Something that would be more dramatic would be to have the script monitor for alignment flips then imeadiately boot anyone from the corp whose alignment was different than the CEO's. Imagine the chaos if the CEO flips alignment. :evil:

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:33 pm
Boo! inc.

Scrat wrote:
Big D wrote:
Promethius wrote:
One thing the discussion has made me think and somewhat in line with what Yop_Solo is talking about is that a mixed corp would be somewhat more realistic in regard to red/blue if it was the alignment that changed instead of experience. It would make some interesting situations if alignments were such that a blue went red at extern or the red when blue. A whole lot more attacks on pers figs to flip alignments....A blue running a twarp attack script suddenly flipping red at extern while in a Fed ship would be kind of funny.

Actually Prom, this could easily be done by server side script. What would even be more dramatic is if it were done on a random basis instead of just at extern. For instance, maybe once or twice a day a script randomly checks mixed corp alignment and if the corp alignment is positive, flip all reds to 0 alignment, or if the corp alignment is negative, flip all blues to 0 alignment.

Something that would be more dramatic would be to have the script monitor for alignment flips then imeadiately boot anyone from the corp whose alignment was different than the CEO's. Imagine the chaos if the CEO flips alignment. :evil:

haha it would add a new challenge to worry about.. but it may be TOO far because it would be easy to flip alignment from attacking/killing someone. it would be kind of backwards to add a penalty for getting kills when the word War is in the name of the game :)

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:02 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Wouldn't this just encourage a worthless placeholder corpie and megacorping?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:33 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Singularity wrote:
Wouldn't this just encourage a worthless placeholder corpie and megacorping?

Might have to explain megacorping :lol:

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:59 pm
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

I remember those days, Kav. .. good thing we only had 250 turns to burn. I am not a scripter and played those by hand. When Twar came out ... well ... that "wow!" me and kept me interested in the game.
Now, i don't want to see this thread moved ... but, it did start out as "needed suggestions for Black Market edit to be implemented". There is support for role playing and building a community within the game. The "juice" is the interaction between player. For sure as a players needs grows, they would be looking to expand their business. Why exhaust figs in an attack to gain planets, if the opponent is willing to join with you? Perhaps the goal would be the unifying of all businesses under one corporate banner. To start a game: ports are set low (max. 500 units), players are given enuf cash to buy quality ship and figs, edited planets might specialize in one product type, fig producers are poor product producers... well, try to take it from there...
This is only one edit among many... plenty of room for ace attackers in other games. In fact, Black Market would become the breeding ground of new players and corporations. Those players would certainly play more than a few combat games. That would help us all.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

one other thing... Black Market play would probably need a script set, specialized in aspects of play, specific to BM.
also, ship design: cripple twarp attack ships (?)... or make them super expensive to move, keep the std. colt for sector work, col'ing would be done with colt on tow (?) .... or give the colt a twarp engine with 1k figs 1:1 odds.... maybe only 3 ships available 1) the everyday twarp colt, 2) a low turn get around ship, 3) an attack ship that cost a bundle to move.
also... non aggresive aliens with ships that are upgrades to fed ships, pwarp treasure planets to be found (not to be a significant influence) or lv 1 treasure planets with cols. and a bit of cash and figs.. not much but enuf to help out.
hmmm.... guess that's it for now... but little grey cells are working.
cc bee... out.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:05 pm
Commander

Why dont you set up your black market corp on the Ice9 planet building game and get some realtime exp. on the idea and see how it plays out

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2