View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 We all like to vote on things, try this! 
Site Admin

Unread post 
Parrothead wrote:
JP has given this site to Earth and Vulcan. This is my understanding from the ICQ's I saw.  I support Vulcan and stand at his side.
 Mike doesnt have time to fix it. Earth has no interest. We are working with the Owners of the Tradewars Franciase(you mean the TWT franchise) to create a Premiere Web site to promote the Classic version of the game which is of benifit to this community and the New owners of the francaise. What is so hard to understand?
And thats GREAT . I will help with this website and help vulcan.
As i stated Good luck with your new forum.
it can only be good for the game of tradewars.
Lets just live and let live.. no worries on my end.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:38 pm
Commander

Unread post 
Vulcan and stand at his side.
I do also and being his friend I will do my part to help him move the Community foward while he goes thru this difficult time. But with all that he is going thru do you think he has the time to fix this site?

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:48 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Captain

Unread post 
I was reading through this and want to note, that many of the features you are discussing have already been incorporated into TEISU, we have devised an initial standard policy as well, and process for voting and holding meetings on community and TW related matters; I don't know if anybody read the highlighted features I posted on before but I figure I would include them here as an FYI... being that it seems as usual there are about three separate groups of people working over each other meanwhile attempting to accomplish nearly the same end result.

Predominate features onboard TEISU to note (in no specific order over 227 MOD’s have been applied to our default BBTech Theme!):

Dynamic styling updated throughout the forums
Posting Icons available
Advanced Voting Poll features has been incorporated
Save Posts as Draft feature has been incorporated, (can be edited through the main index header, right hand side view links)
Advanced Survey Creation features have been incorporated
Dedicated TWA downloads page, (at this time only Admin can include new files)
Posting File Attachments feature has been incorporated, (permits uploading and downloading files within posts and in PM’s)
XML customizable Newsfeeds available to all Members
Google Music and Documentary Video Xport pages available, (at this time only Admin can update the play lists)
Music page contains a growing selection of songs and live
concerts/programs, the Documentary page contains a large and growing
selection of documentaries,
spoofs, movies, etc; all are embedded from Google Video, You Tube, and similar related sites.
** Still some cleaning up left to do, possibly duplicate entries under altered names, missing parts to documentaries, etc.
Very customizable forums via Member Profile
Advanced anti-spamming and BOT prevention
Advanced cursing filters installed throughout the forums, (except the “Reality Check!” Category)
Enhance smack talk forums known as “Reality Check!” (17 or older permitted only, as all curse filters have been turned off!)
Designated Troll punishment feature has been incorporated in lieu of banning unruly Members
Admin/Mod accountability tracking logs (Code Crush and Action Logs)
User
Post/Topic move preference alerts available, (Admin/Mod move your
Topic/Post elsewhere, you will be automatically advised via Email if
enabled)
Large selection of smilies and themes available,
(additional themes to be modified in the near future, BBTech theme is
currently GTG)  Click to View Smilies Selection,
Ability to import Post Count and Registration Date from EIS, (at Member’s request)
* Please view the policy regarding this: Click to view Importing of Post Counts & Reg Dates Policy
Administrative Quizzing feature for all Members to participate in, (currently only Admin are able to create Quizzes)
Dynamic linking within the main index page to many useful sites and utilities
(These
currently include, categorized Stardock preset game search sessions,
Direct Porting to the TradeWars Academy, a complete listing of related
links has been organized (based from the Document §tinger), a META Tag
Creator, and a Browser *yzer Utility)
2 second flood interval set
for posting and searching, (though there is a 5 second preview loop-out
that must be exceeded to make a new post, this is a anti-BOT feature)
Member Post Reporting feature with Advanced Admin Console
Advanced Member Birthday Monitor
Advanced Member and Forum stats
A combined Member Welcome Panel that includes a TEISU Announcements and News updates section
TEISU has a complete set of Polices and Standards have been created for TEISU Staff and Members
* Please view Policies and Standards for TEISU members and Staff Representatives: http://teisu.org/viewtopic.php?p=36
Member FTP privileges
* Please view TEISU Member FTP Accessing Guidelines: http://teisu.org/viewtopic.php?p=209
Several
additional features included throughout the forums such as clicking on
links and hovering over links through the view topic areas, (hovering
over the title, clicking on the reply number, or clicking on the
left-side folder icon, clicking on Members Name and Post Count, etc.)
Members
Online/Offline status, last visit date, post average, topics created,
word average/total words typed, posts per month, post linking within
profiles, etc.
Several phpBB bug fixes performed
Online/Offline status links for AOL, MSN, Yahoo, and Skype
There
is a Members Guestbook available in each Members profile (25 minimum
post count to deviate BOTS and Trolls from Posting in them)
Donations Link available, we have also designed a display template for those that need one
Advanced Emailing and Private Messing features
Printer Friendly Post feature

Advanced BBCode features, which include:

100 characters available for use in making up your topic/reply titles
Auto guiding URL and Image pop-ups
Usable color tags within code tags, (in other words you can color code your code!)
Maintain spacing within posts
Many additional special features for coders and developers have been installed, (with even more to come!)
Numerous additional Fonts and font sizes have been added
Full image and text alignment features
Hidden text feature, (also known as a spoiler)
Quick color bar, with hex coded coloring; color name labels still available
Buttons
added for: strike-through, tab, horizontal lines (hr), tables, line
breaks, extra spacing, footnotes, subscript, superscript, /me, user,
email, scrolling marquee, anchoring tags, Wikipedia, Google, and Yahoo
search tags, referencing tags for a online dictionary, thesaurus, and
translator, etc.
Post embedding supported for flash (.SWF File),
flow (.FLV File), mp3 (via EMFF for MPEG Files), Bolt, Google Video,
YouTube, Quicktime, and Windows Media’s
* Please view The TEISU BBCode Usage Guide for further instructions and clarification: http://teisu.org/viewtopic.php?p=210
Please also note that a few tags are still being worked on such as
additional features/functions for the scroll tag, a few issues with
embedded windows media (wmp tags).

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:38 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Unread post 
And a fine site it is RExx but to be honest,
1) You own and run it.
 THe community must own and run any community site and its content to be valid.
2) The New World Order weirdness puts peeps off their feed.
3)The forum is cluttered with to much crap. Like Gymnasium forum etc.
We envision a Game only related site with the following features.
a)Flash Intro Screen
b)Attractive yet simple Home page.
c)Forums following the old familar format and colors. Including archived posts etc to preserve the history.
d)TWGS server to include a welcome back game for new/returming players. A script/helper test game . Tournaments would also be held their if appropriate. Allowing several gameops to prevent the usual crap of server drops when no one is home etc....
e)Links pages with graphics
f)Perhaps a store with a few Tradewar items.
g)Tutorial Pages.
h)Q and A pages for TWGS new sysops questions and the same for new Playeters.
i)BBS listing page as their are many many online BBS's hosting TWGS and the Door version still.
j)Server Links Page with space for each sysop to put in their own content ,server rules ,special game details etc.
k)Proper download area for Script archive ala Grimy's
l)As above but for TWA's

other ideas include ICQ notices of events and or Big Game starts and info. This has been more popular among those asked than Email.
Scorekeeper Applets etc that show game info on running games quickly. This would allow you to see if a game was worth going into or if its pretty much over.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:58 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

Unread post 
Parrothead wrote:

Vulcan and stand at his side.
I do also and being his friend I will do my part to help him move the Community foward while he goes thru this difficult time. But with all that he is going thru do you think he has the time to fix this site?

Well i spoke to moomoo/validis
"I'm working with Vulcan he's the one calling the shots on the change if one happen, as far as i am concerned"
and
"I spoked with him yesterday showed him the new site because i redid the frame, he liked it, and I also said I was going to put a vbulletin on it to port the forum"
AND
"maybe people know I mad a site but the site is Vulcan's call to put on the site"
and lastly "
but I explain what i understood and for me Vulcan calls the Shots on that and classictw is the only OFFICIAL site that can use what im doing"
As stated a million times past......This forum http://www.classictw.com/forum/ is going to stay right here.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:13 am
Captain

Unread post 
Like I said most of those things are already incorporated into TEISU and many of the items you listed it something you will only find in a pipe dream. As far as the NWO goes, it is real, at least check it out before you toss it out the window as something a nut job would speak of, remember Bush spoke about it and oddly enough he spoke about it on 9/11/1991... funny.

Of course to point out somebody has to own all sites, just like the other ones being started now, so I am not sure what you are meaning by that? I am also confused as to why you are all upset at Moomoo over the things he spoke of but now it appears as if you are using him to develop another new site, what is that all about? But then again you don't believe we are heading straight into the hands of a one world government owned and controlled by central bankers, so I guess I should assume that has something to do with my confusion as to why you would do or say things such as this.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Quote:
THe community must own and run any community site and its content to be valid.

Problem... bandwidth isn't free. This, by definition, means that someone controls the site. A "free" host account is at the whim of the host, it's restrictions and limits apply in force (geocities, etc). Or you can pay the $10 a month and get your own hosting account and do it yourself, but that means that the guy (or you) that pays is the 1 person you can't "vote out." Thus the community principle only goes so far. You could go all the way and try to setup a trust, elect a board and put the trust in charge of everything... but that's going to cost money to setup too, and I don't see that happening.

This is going to be an issue... make sure the guy that pays for it shares the same values you do. That's, really, the only reason people have issues here. The people that pay for and directly admin the site have a different opinion than you do.

Oh and flash is a pain in the butt. I don't even enable flash. I realllllly don't advise going that route, it only slows people down.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:16 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Unread post 
I agree with Sing. For myself, I'm on a business package, and run my own servers.

Just a question on your ideas: you mention having a download area for scripts, a tutorial section, etc. There are those of us that already have that. For example, Grimy Trader does scripts, I run TradeWars Academy with the tutorials already developing. Why reinvent the wheel, and not just "link" to these places? Is this not what a community is all about? Joe next door is a plumber, Jack is a carpenter, etc... So in the community we can get a house build and plumbing installed. Get my point? Why put everything under one basket? It seems to me it would be easier if you made your site and just provide the links to the sites in existance, like Nav Haz, TWA, Grimy Trader, etc.

Just trying to understand exactly where this community is heading and if all of us have a part in it, or just the select group?

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:58 am
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I'm not even sure exactly what is going to happen yet.  A lot of this is still in the planning stages.  There will be a committe elected by anyone that want's to nominate and vote.  It will be made up of 10 people, all doing different jobs.  The cost of the host will be shared by whoever wants to donate, and by a few small things the community can do to raise money, Those things have yet to be worked out.  Links to other sites?  I agree.  We will link to all the major sites and make use of all the communtiy websiteds out there.  If we do have the some of same features these sites offer, it will be as a backup in case one of these sites is down or is terminated.  The flash we were discussing will be just on the 1st page new people load.  We will probably use 1 redirect for that page and for new members to the communtiy, but use another for existing users so they can bypass it.   Like I said this is all still hypothetical, so anything can actually happen.  A lot will be decided once we have a committee elected.
Hope his explains a little. 

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:10 pm
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
I won't had oil on the fire, I have to wait for vulcan as you can imagine for many reason and like we all know he's trying hard to do everything and anyway I have to code -the- site.

What i want to say is that the new site will need some-information about a lot of stuff but is not intended to replace other site that do it.

Let's take new comming player (like I could be), If there is enough interesting information on the official site to interest me to the game and that there is link to more advanced information I might tend to go there. If the link is just a random link hidden in the forum I won't go check it out.

As for the host, there is no need to talk about it. I can't explain why yet because I need to see vulcan so i don't say things I'm assuming but that I know. But the hosting is not an issue to the community.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post 
Thrawn wrote:
I agree with Sing. For myself, I'm on a business package, and run my own servers.

Just a question on your ideas: you mention having a download area for scripts, a tutorial section, etc. There are those of us that already have that. For example, Grimy Trader does scripts, I run TradeWars Academy with the tutorials already developing. Why reinvent the wheel, and not just "link" to these places? Is this not what a community is all about? Joe next door is a plumber, Jack is a carpenter, etc... So in the community we can get a house build and plumbing installed. Get my point? Why put everything under one basket? It seems to me it would be easier if you made your site and just provide the links to the sites in existance, like Nav Haz, TWA, Grimy Trader, etc.

Just trying to understand exactly where this community is heading and if all of us have a part in it, or just the select group?

Grimy's is a fine site. I use it all the time. It has not been up consistantly. Nothing wrong with duplicate data.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Lieutenant

Unread post 
A site that has it all be nice, and if a prob happens, I can go next door and get a cup of sugar from the plumber.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

Unread post 
All good pionts to be discussed in the area for this at RP's.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

Unread post 
Big D wrote:
<FONT style=": #333333">I'm not even sure exactly what is going to happen yet.  A lot of this is still in the planning stages.  There will be a committe elected by anyone that want's to nominate and vote.  It will be made up of 10 people, all doing different jobs.  The cost of the host will be shared by whoever wants to donate, and by a few small things the community can do to raise money, Those things have yet to be worked out.  Links to other sites?  I agree.  We will link to all the major sites and make use of all the communtiy websiteds out there.  If we do have the some of same features these sites offer, it will be as a backup in case one of these sites is down or is terminated.  The flash we were discussing will be just on the 1st page new people load.  We will probably use 1 redirect for that page and for new members to the communtiy, but use another for existing users so they can bypass it.   Like I said this is all still hypothetical, so anything can actually happen.  A lot will be decided once we have a committee elected.
<FONT style=": #333333">Hope his explains a little. 

It explains a lot. Thank you kindly.

--

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:05 pm
Commander

Unread post 
Like I said, I am just returning to see all that is going on, and wondering what future there is for a SysOp like myself who has and will continue to spend time developing the TradeWars Academy site to it's full potential. Do I fit into the community? I would like to think so. I want to give back to that which has helped me.

Anyways, appreciate the time in clearing things up for me. I now know what I need to accomplish.

--

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next