View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mega-Corping 
Commander

Unread post 
Silence wrote:

Like I said, you cannot police information. you can however as a sysop set up a script to save corp assets daily, and if any are exchanged, then you can enforce the rule I stated above.

Silence, could you possibly give me some direction on this "script" you made mention of? Perhaps I could integrate this with our ScoreKeeper to help enforce the rule.

Thanks for your time and effort. I appreciate it.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:14 am
Commander

Unread post 
honestly thrawn, you need a tedit script? I am not the one to ask. I dont own a twgs, so I have never had the need to own, or write a script like that.

Ask around, I am sure there are plenty of people who may have seen one, or could write you one.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:23 am
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
you gotta be careful about who you think is mega corping though.
I remember one game, a player got a limp, and didn't clear it, so I watched where he went.
While reading the daily logs, I saw they were invading another corp.
So I waited, and when the defending corp threw them back, i dove in and finished the job cleanly, and cheaply.
Now, obviously, I was accused of mega corping, but was I? No. (And had the first corp succeeded in the attack, I still would have followed in and taken them out instead)

--==[The Outfit]==--

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:36 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Unread post 
It's true, a script like I mentioned would in no way be 100% foolproof... but if 600k figs disappear off of c1, while c2 invades c3, its pretty Darn obvious.

The script should in no way overrule any sysop's judgement, it should just help you not have to write stuff down nightly, to try and help that judgement understand the bigger picture.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:40 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Unread post 
Silence wrote:
honestly thrawn, you need a tedit script? I am not the one to ask. I dont own a twgs, so I have never had the need to own, or write a script like that.

Ask around, I am sure there are plenty of people who may have seen one, or could write you one.

Apologies. I was not fully understanding it was on the tedit side. Forgive my stupid question.

--

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:41 am
Commander

Unread post 
There is an old adage I wish not to say here, though I am sure you have heard it before.

No apologies neccessary.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:44 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Unread post 
Well in any case I still appreciate your insight. Thanks for the help.

--

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:45 am
Commander

Unread post 
It's what EIS is really here for, dont make me say it again.

(slim, I'm catching up)

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:23 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Thrawn wrote:
Ok, but how will I know that they will honor that rule? What I'm trying to say is that I don't want to bog my site down with rules. From what most have told me, it's been pretty good. I'm not discrediting anyone saying "make it a rule" but I just want to know the best way to make it fool proof so no one will find a grey area. However, usually that is also impossible to do.

IMHO, I did not list it, therefore it's up to the players to justify their actions. I do not have time to referee a game to determine if a rule is bent. My ScoreKeeper looks after other avenues for me.

I'll let you in on a little secret I've found out about sysoping.  The more rules you have, the more arguements you have and the more you work your butt off trying to settle disputes.   That's the main reason truce games are a pain in the butt.   Don't let me keep you from making rules on your server, but I'd think very hard about each one.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:24 pm
Commander

Unread post 
Thrawn, I wouldn't bother making a rule on megacorping.
What he was talking about wasn't megacorping, and even if it was, that's just tough cookies. BigD is right- the more rules you have the more whining.

Curing ignorance and terminal stupidity since 1999.

Questioning the intellectual abilities of three digit annual salary earners since 2015.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post 
Big D wrote:
Thrawn wrote:
Ok, but how will I know that they will honor that rule? What I'm trying to say is that I don't want to bog my site down with rules. From what most have told me, it's been pretty good. I'm not discrediting anyone saying "make it a rule" but I just want to know the best way to make it fool proof so no one will find a grey area. However, usually that is also impossible to do. IMHO, I did not list it, therefore it's up to the players to justify their actions. I do not have time to referee a game to determine if a rule is bent. My ScoreKeeper looks after other avenues for me.

I'll let you in on a little secret I've found out about sysoping.  The more rules you have, the more arguements you have and the more you work your butt off trying to settle disputes.   That's the main reason truce games are a pain in the butt.   Don't let me keep you from making rules on your server, but I'd think very hard about each one.

I agree. The only major rule we have is duping. Other than that the rules explain more the role of the ScoreKeeper, types of games, the banging schedule. I felt keeping it simple made it easier for me.

--

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:08 pm
Commander

Unread post 
Oso wrote:
Thrawn, I wouldn't bother making a rule on megacorping.
What he was talking about wasn't megacorping, and even if it was, that's just tough cookies. BigD is right- the more rules you have the more whining.

Alright...

--

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:09 pm
Gameop

Unread post 
Actually I prefer the take of another more experienced player: Every tactic has a counter. And it was my fault for not choosing the counter for this and losing, not their fault for using the tactic and beating me.

Cerne

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:44 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
Thanks for staying right on topic Mr. Moderator, sir.

Cerne

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2