View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 am



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Such a newb question 
Author Message
Commander

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:00 am
Posts: 1133
Unread post Such a newb question
If you had original edits *old school* 1200 turns a day with no ship edits or anything and your playing blue what would suggest your sector build up look like. Also, what is the best way for a blue player to keep up with a red player in a turn based game. I assume upgrading ports and selling off the product. If there's any other pointers tips or advice i'd appreciate it :)


Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 am
Profile
Veteran Op
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:00 am
Posts: 5558
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
I wouldn't be a blue in that edit.

I'd build a few bases, just enough cols to get the planets
going but nothing serious. Then I'd go red, cash, probe
when nobody is online, and take what I find.

The only way to keep up w/ a red player as a blue is
if the planets go mobile fast and produce a lot of stuff
you can sell off.

_________________
May the unholy fires of corbomite ignite deep within the depths of your soul...

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com
Image


Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:35 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 am
Posts: 3546
Location: Long Beach, CA
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Grid, photon, get a corpie.

H

_________________
Helix
Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars.
Lest we forget
TTW TWGS v2 twgs.ddns.net:2002
I had to ask myself WWSGD?


Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3891
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Comet wrote:
If you had original edits *old school* 1200 turns a day with no ship edits or anything and your playing blue what would suggest your sector build up look like. Also, what is the best way for a blue player to keep up with a red player in a turn based game. I assume upgrading ports and selling off the product. If there's any other pointers tips or advice i'd appreciate it :)


You can go to my website and see all the specs for stock ships and planets, then decide for yourself what you want to build.

_________________
Image
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
2018 HHT Champs: Rock Stars


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155 ... adewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:00 am
Posts: 1133
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Cruncher wrote:
Comet wrote:
If you had original edits *old school* 1200 turns a day with no ship edits or anything and your playing blue what would suggest your sector build up look like. Also, what is the best way for a blue player to keep up with a red player in a turn based game. I assume upgrading ports and selling off the product. If there's any other pointers tips or advice i'd appreciate it :)


You can go to my website and see all the specs for stock ships and planets, then decide for yourself what you want to build.



I know how long they take and I know what to build I was just curious *gathering advice* from other players. However, I will take a gander thanks...


Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:15 pm
Profile
Veteran Op
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 544
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Cruncher wrote:
Comet wrote:
If you had original edits *old school* 1200 turns a day with no ship edits or anything and your playing blue what would suggest your sector build up look like. Also, what is the best way for a blue player to keep up with a red player in a turn based game. I assume upgrading ports and selling off the product. If there's any other pointers tips or advice i'd appreciate it :)


You can go to my website and see all the specs for stock ships and planets, then decide for yourself what you want to build.


I think having the right settings information doesn't mean you are going to employe the correct Strategy. This is exactly what THIS forum is meant for. Smile Cruncher...

_________________
The Ghost you LOVE to HATE!!! The J.R. Ewing of TradeWars..
Time Tells All Tales.

Jesus woundn't SubSpace Crawl
Image


Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3891
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Space Ghost wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
Comet wrote:
If you had original edits *old school* 1200 turns a day with no ship edits or anything and your playing blue what would suggest your sector build up look like. Also, what is the best way for a blue player to keep up with a red player in a turn based game. I assume upgrading ports and selling off the product. If there's any other pointers tips or advice i'd appreciate it :)


You can go to my website and see all the specs for stock ships and planets, then decide for yourself what you want to build.


I think having the right settings information doesn't mean you are going to employe the correct Strategy. This is exactly what THIS forum is meant for. Smile Cruncher...


And the only thing he tells us is that the settings favor blue, and he askes what planets to build. This is why comet and I didn't work out in the first place. When I teach I let the student make mistakes, that's how they learn. I supply the information and field specific questions. When they are on my corp I tell them what to build where, and how many colos to place on each type planet and in which production to maximize resources.

I give them choices, any of which are acceptable, and what is a waste of turns = what NOT to do. Then they choose.

_________________
Image
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
2018 HHT Champs: Rock Stars


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155 ... adewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 544
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Cruncher wrote:
Space Ghost wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
Comet wrote:
If you had original edits *old school* 1200 turns a day with no ship edits or anything and your playing blue what would suggest your sector build up look like. Also, what is the best way for a blue player to keep up with a red player in a turn based game. I assume upgrading ports and selling off the product. If there's any other pointers tips or advice i'd appreciate it :)


You can go to my website and see all the specs for stock ships and planets, then decide for yourself what you want to build.


I think having the right settings information doesn't mean you are going to employe the correct Strategy. This is exactly what THIS forum is meant for. Smile Cruncher...


And the only thing he tells us is that the settings favor blue, and he askes what planets to build. This is why comet and I didn't work out in the first place. When I teach I let the student make mistakes, that's how they learn. I supply the information and field specific questions. When they are on my corp I tell them what to build where, and how many colos to place on each type planet and in which production to maximize resources.

I give them choices, any of which are acceptable, and what is a waste of turns = what NOT to do. Then they choose.


Slow down Cruncher....he is providing *US* with all the information *WE* need to Advise him.......Stock ships and planets with turns listed......I don't think it's unfair of him to ask the Question(s) what is the best strategy......ofcourse maybe its a personality thing with you him...Regardless this is the Game Play Q&A so his Question is a proper one. :o

_________________
The Ghost you LOVE to HATE!!! The J.R. Ewing of TradeWars..
Time Tells All Tales.

Jesus woundn't SubSpace Crawl
Image


Last edited by Space Ghost on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:00 am
Posts: 1133
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Space Ghost wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
Space Ghost wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
Comet wrote:
If you had original edits *old school* 1200 turns a day with no ship edits or anything and your playing blue what would suggest your sector build up look like. Also, what is the best way for a blue player to keep up with a red player in a turn based game. I assume upgrading ports and selling off the product. If there's any other pointers tips or advice i'd appreciate it :)


You can go to my website and see all the specs for stock ships and planets, then decide for yourself what you want to build.


I think having the right settings information doesn't mean you are going to employe the correct Strategy. This is exactly what THIS forum is meant for. Smile Cruncher...


And the only thing he tells us is that the settings favor blue, and he askes what planets to build. This is why comet and I didn't work out in the first place. When I teach I let the student make mistakes, that's how they learn. I supply the information and field specific questions. When they are on my corp I tell them what to build where, and how many colos to place on each type planet and in which production to maximize resources.

I give them choices, any of which are acceptable, and what is a waste of turns = what NOT to do. Then they choose.


Slow down Cruncher....he is providing *US* with all the information *WE* need to Advise him.......Stock ships and planets with turns listed......I don't think it's unfair of him to ask the Question(s) what is the best strategy......ofcourse maybe its a personality thing with you him...Regardless this is the Game Play Q&A so his Question is a proper one. :o



the only change to the edits i am talking about is 1200 turns. Everything else is orginal. 5k sectors earth volcanic mountain gas glacial ocean and desert wasteland. no ship edits or anything. I am just looking for some *advice* I am not fighting with you cruncher or walking into the past. that is for smack. as far as I'm concerned I"ve let it go. Hence the reason why I haven't said anything in the smack forum geared towards you for a little bit now. Time to grow up and move on. I appreciate you telling me to hit up your webpage I will look into it. I was just wondering if there was certain planets i should build in the sectors like example 2 mountain because they go up the fastest 1 ocean and 2 volcanics? It's been a long time since i have played turn games Ice-9 I am doing VERY well in with the help of Kewlbreeze helping me out. I'm learning as I go and I don't want this to get turned into smack. So leave it for the other forum. Thank you to everyone else who has helped properly with the question.

Cruncher yes you are a good CEO and I have learned that wasted turns are bad. Thank you for pointing that out. Now let's play grown ups and let it go.....


Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 pm
Profile
Veteran Op
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:00 am
Posts: 5558
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
5k is a very small uni for 1200 turns, stock planets are very slow.

1200 turns as a red? Lets say you SDT w/ 900 of those, furb w/
200, and keep 100. Okay ports, 17k per turn. That's 15m per day.

If planets are slow, and you're a blue, how do you cash in a way
that makes 15m per day? The best you can do is build planets
and nego. But that assumes you keep those planets. If MBBS is
on, they will make even more once planets do get mobile.

So...

If the game is aggressive, your planets aren't going to make it.
If the game isn't aggressive, then it doesn't matter what you do.

Hence, with a small dose of logic, we can determine the most
logical course of action that works in both situations: Go red and
be aggressive. Build a handful of planets distributed around the
uni, save up a small amount of cash, then go red. Cash half your
turns, probe and grid the other half. Torp people that threaten
your grid as you can, invade anything you find. Subdue the other
players, get your L, get a few Hs if they survive, declare victory
in 6 months.

_________________
May the unholy fires of corbomite ignite deep within the depths of your soul...

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com
Image


Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 2:00 am
Posts: 1722
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
5k verse and 1200 turns?.
5k verse is really for 250/350 turns. Stock Mbbs. Solo...go red. Build an "L" or 3
SST. When mobile then mega. Stock is a hard edit actually and not really for solo.
5k verse with 1200 turns is to go red then sst cash. Grid probe destroy. Declare victory in 2 weeks. Forget the planets altogether. You wont be able to hide them.

_________________
Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Image
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl


Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:00 am
Posts: 5558
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
Parrothead wrote:
5k verse and 1200 turns?.
5k verse is really for 250/350 turns. Stock Mbbs. Solo...go red. Build an "L" or 3
SST. When mobile then mega. Stock is a hard edit actually and not really for solo.
5k verse with 1200 turns is to go red then sst cash. Grid probe destroy. Declare victory in 2 weeks. Forget the planets altogether. You wont be able to hide them.


You can SDT w/o mobiles, and you will make more per turn.

I'd build planets just in case the game isn't closed after
victory. In 90 days, do you still want to be w/o a mobile?

_________________
May the unholy fires of corbomite ignite deep within the depths of your soul...

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com
Image


Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:32 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:15 am
Posts: 142
Unread post Re: Such a newb question
You can't compete with a red as far as cashing goes, at least not until you can get a mobile ocean. Your best bet if you intend on staying blue is to catch him/her when they are re-furbing and #SD# them.


Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:19 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.