View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:48 pm



Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like. 
Author Message
Gunnery Sergeant

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:00 am
Posts: 26
Location: USA
Unread post What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like.
Image an updated version of TW 2002 that is very similar to what we have today but with three very important changes.

1.
A separate TCP port for helpers/GUI's only. A text based (for easy debugging) based protocol/API that gives just the absolute necessary information about game state. For example when your ship enters a new sector a simple text line (shown below) is sent to the listening GUI so that it can do something with that information. Parsing is trivial and complex interactions can be easily made.
csect:1234

2.
With the above TCP/Port implemented a modern Directx/OpenGL GUI could be made. The old ANSI based system can still be used by connecting to the old TCP port, and need not change at all, all scripting with TWX will still work. Only now you get a beautiful GUI to watch everything occur. Over time helpers will evolve to using the new API, or even an TW 2002 official GUI would be produced.

3.
The biggest problem with TW 2002 is the denial of service ability. The game does not protect the story or new players at all. Also if you don't start building your resources on day one it is game over for you. The solution to this is to have a separate mini game within the TW 2002 universe. It would go something like this:

a) When a player signs into the game, even if it has been going a 120 days they are allocated a sector in Fed space that is completely managed and protected by the Fed. Think 10,000 sectors here. You can move and play a great majority of the game in this Federally protected space. You can buy and sell, build up a planet and resources. This comes at a cost however, you pay heavy taxes. You can't attack in this space. Also while you are here you are assigned jobs by the Fed once a week. Failure to perform and the Fed can kick you and anything in your sector out into deep space.

b) The above Fed Space is where StarDock is located. Good and evil enters into this Federal eco-system of newbs but they can't harm anything. Their only purpose here is to go to Terra or Stardock and perhaps interact with newbs, looking to hire talent. There are no corporate entities in Fed Space.

c) When a player is ready they leave Fed space and are not allowed to move back. Now they are in deep space and there are no silly newbie rules here. This is where the big boys are. This is where the aliens are. Corporation intelligence scouts are always looking for other Corps to attack or otherwise subdue. It is classic TW 2002 game play only more than 20K sectors.

d) A grid of figs only last for a few days. You can't put a fighter all by itself and expect it to survive indefinitely.

Whoever would implement these things would do so out of a labor of love, it would cost over $100,000 USD to implement these changes which is why I suggest the open-source route. Otherwise we all get a front-row seat to watch a 20 year old game die right in front of our eyes.


Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:11 pm
Profile
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:59 pm
Posts: 782
Unread post Re: What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like.
an expanded fedspace... maybe it could be all the areas in and around the 'major space lanes', like fill in the triangle... i think this is a neat idea for a building/killing game hybrid...

_________________
I was immortal, for a little while...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg


Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 pm
Profile
Veteran Op
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:00 am
Posts: 5558
Location: USA
Unread post Re: What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like.
Let's just make it impossible to invade or kill. It'd be great!! /sarcasm

_________________
May the unholy fires of corbomite ignite deep within the depths of your soul...

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com
Image


Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Boo! inc.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:42 pm
Posts: 376
Location: California
Unread post Re: What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like.
Singularity wrote:
Let's just make it impossible to invade or kill. It'd be great!! /sarcasm



/Obvious Troll is obvious
//obviously


Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:00 am
Posts: 5558
Location: USA
Unread post Re: What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like.
T.R. Edwards wrote:
/Obvious Troll is obvious
//obviously


That's me. Obvious troll, lurkin under ur bridges!

_________________
May the unholy fires of corbomite ignite deep within the depths of your soul...

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com
Image


Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:00 am
Posts: 1800
Location: Outer Rims
Unread post Re: What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like.
pcunite wrote:
Image an updated version of TW 2002 that is very similar to what we have today but with three very important changes.

1.
A separate TCP port for helpers/GUI's only. A text based (for easy debugging) based protocol/API that gives just the absolute necessary information about game state. For example when your ship enters a new sector a simple text line (shown below) is sent to the listening GUI so that it can do something with that information. Parsing is trivial and complex interactions can be easily made.
csect:1234

2.
With the above TCP/Port implemented a modern Directx/OpenGL GUI could be made. The old ANSI based system can still be used by connecting to the old TCP port, and need not change at all, all scripting with TWX will still work. Only now you get a beautiful GUI to watch everything occur. Over time helpers will evolve to using the new API, or even an TW 2002 official GUI would be produced.

3.
The biggest problem with TW 2002 is the denial of service ability. The game does not protect the story or new players at all. Also if you don't start building your resources on day one it is game over for you. The solution to this is to have a separate mini game within the TW 2002 universe. It would go something like this:

a) When a player signs into the game, even if it has been going a 120 days they are allocated a sector in Fed space that is completely managed and protected by the Fed. Think 10,000 sectors here. You can move and play a great majority of the game in this Federally protected space. You can buy and sell, build up a planet and resources. This comes at a cost however, you pay heavy taxes. You can't attack in this space. Also while you are here you are assigned jobs by the Fed once a week. Failure to perform and the Fed can kick you and anything in your sector out into deep space.

b) The above Fed Space is where StarDock is located. Good and evil enters into this Federal eco-system of newbs but they can't harm anything. Their only purpose here is to go to Terra or Stardock and perhaps interact with newbs, looking to hire talent. There are no corporate entities in Fed Space.

c) When a player is ready they leave Fed space and are not allowed to move back. Now they are in deep space and there are no silly newbie rules here. This is where the big boys are. This is where the aliens are. Corporation intelligence scouts are always looking for other Corps to attack or otherwise subdue. It is classic TW 2002 game play only more than 20K sectors.

d) A grid of figs only last for a few days. You can't put a fighter all by itself and expect it to survive indefinitely.

Whoever would implement these things would do so out of a labor of love, it would cost over $100,000 USD to implement these changes which is why I suggest the open-source route. Otherwise we all get a front-row seat to watch a 20 year old game die right in front of our eyes.


Some of these ideas are pretty good.

_________________
-Thrawn

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3


Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:47 pm
Profile
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:59 pm
Posts: 782
Unread post Re: What an update of TW 2002 would look and act like.
Singularity wrote:
Let's just make it impossible to invade or kill. It'd be great!! /sarcasm


simcity sold like hotcakes. of course, the best part was the disasters, which i guess kinda proves your point. nothing like aliens or godzilla trashing your town...

why didnt simcity have an obvious troll?

_________________
I was immortal, for a little while...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg


Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:09 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.